Author Topic: SSC strange behavior.  (Read 1719 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

SSC strange behavior.
« on: July 23, 2012, »
As I have been assembling and testing my new V2 SSCs I have come across one thats behavior dosne't make sense.

I have retouched all the solder joints and verified the programming several times.

I install the programming jumper and connect the SSC to the hub and pixel string.
Then using the Programming Utility I set the utility to use the e-dongle, etc. then when I click the 'Transmitt' button the lights blink just as expected. I have noted that with this SSC version the first pixel randomly blinks green, blue and white. It's allways the first pixel so far.

I stop the utility, unplug the SSC from the hub cable, remove the programming jumper, then reconnect the SSC to hub cable.

Then I open LSP with a test program loaded, click the controller that should operate the pixel string and select the 'Test Hardware' option. When the hardware test opens I start clicking some of the sliders 'on' buttons but there NO OUTPUT at all.

I have  tried this procedure several times.

The fact that the SSC runs the lights from the programming utility verifies that there is control data being sent to the pixels.

It just dosen't work in the 'normal' mode.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SSC strange behavior.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, »
Have you tried a different set of nodes?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, »
Have you tried a different set of nodes?

Rick R.

Yep, didn't make any difference.

I am using a string that came from my mega tree and it has worked with all the other SSCv2s.

Remember the string blinks when the programming utility sends the setup info.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, »
I'm not sure that this is the same as your issue, but I had strings behaving strangely.

When I slide the sliders up and down to get say Red, then Blue then Green etc, it seemed to be out  in terms of the color.

The more strings I checked, the more the strings acted strangely

I puzzled over this for a good while until I realized that my string count was out by one. I had numbered then in-correctly in LSP.

Each string was out by one, so the second string it was out by two, and the third string was out by three and so on.

So, double check your channel numbering in LSP vesus what you have programmed with the utility and make sure they match exactly.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, »
I'm not sure that this is the same as your issue, but I had strings behaving strangely.

When I slide the sliders up and down to get say Red, then Blue then Green etc, it seemed to be out  in terms of the color.

The more strings I checked, the more the strings acted strangely

I puzzled over this for a good while until I realized that my string count was out by one. I had numbered then in-correctly in LSP.

Each string was out by one, so the second string it was out by two, and the third string was out by three and so on.

So, double check your channel numbering in LSP vesus what you have programmed with the utility and make sure they match exactly.

I did go back and make sure that I had the start address in the SSC setup screen correct several times. The pixel string lenght is etched into my brain at this point. I tied them up so they would all be equally spaced. That was a fun project, not.

The only thing I use in the LSP test program is either on or off for pixel 1 because I have the strings set to hybrid mode. If pixel 1 works then I will do a sample test run on the string.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, »
When I programmed all 12 of my SSC v2's they acted just like my v1's. All nodes blink in only white. There was no 1st pixel being green or blue. So it sounds like the 1st node has a problem or maybe the data line is switched. In LSP or Xlights in hybrid mode assuming your start channel is 1 (for example), channel 1 would be whole string red, channel 2 would be whole string green, channel 3 would be whole string blue, channel 4 would be 1st pixel red, channel 5 would be 1st pixel green ect. And if channel 1, 2, or 3 are on it overrides the other channels for the rest of the controller. I have seen other posts where people have gotten their data input switched due to changes in the waterproof connectors. But definitely all pixels should only be flashing white during programming.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, »
What happens if you bring upthe sliders slowly.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, »

I install the programming jumper and connect the SSC to the hub and pixel string.
Then using the Programming Utility I set the utility to use the e-dongle, etc. then when I click the 'Transmitt' button the lights blink just as expected. I have noted that with this SSC version the first pixel randomly blinks green, blue and white. It's allways the first pixel so far.

I've seen this, when I thought I'd programmed the SSC correctly, but the checksum didn't match the Wiki.

The checksums are:
Checksums Pickit2 - 19F3 Pickit3 - 1A6B

I was using the Pickit 3 and the checksum never matched 1A6B, even though I thought it programmed correctly. Turned out to be the red USB cable was bad that came with the Pickit 3.

Swopped out the cable, reporgrammed the SSC, and it all started to work correctly.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, »
Third time is the charm.

I had been doing an extra verify but that aparently dosen't do the complete trick.

I went back and 'read' the PIC and the checksum was wrong. Reprogrammed it again then did a 'read' instead and that time the CS came back correct.

Now all is well in the world for now.  ;D

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, »
Excellent news, glad to see it's working now.