Author Topic: I used to think I wasn't scared of heights  (Read 2403 times)

Offline keitha43

I used to think I wasn't scared of heights
« on: September 19, 2013, »
I found a link to this video on another forum. Once you get past the animation at the beginning of the video it shows what it is like to climb a transmission tower to the top via a camera mounted on a man's helmet. And that is one tall tower. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was okay until the "free climbing" started.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, by keitha43 »

Offline drlucas

Re: I used to think I wasn't scared of heights
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, »
I have a new found respect for my cell phone bill after watching this video. Sadly, I bet the majority of my bill doesn't go into liability insurance....

This was a tough to watch video, but I still made it through to the end. I can't believe they don't use more of their safety line, I guess it just slows them down too much.

I still have problems with the first/last step of the ladder on top of the roof....once I'm up there or starting down I'm OK, but it's making the transfer that scares the crap out of me. I just can't imaging standing on top of the platform - CRAZY!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, »
You know at 200 feet drop your probable dead. I think I would have a parachute on my back.   
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline thestig

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, »
You guys.... All I could think about was how awesome a megatree that could be :)

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, »
I once thought my 30' pine tree would make a nice mega tree...then I climbed 1/2 up it...then I changed plans. I'm quite happy with my 9' tree  :P
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, »
I know someone who changes warning beacon bulbs on the top or large tower at a plant. His boss complained that he was goofing off and taking to much time till he told his boss to climb the tower and show him how to do it faster....
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, »
You guys.... All I could think about was how awesome a megatree that could be :)

Okay I ran the numbers on the megatree calculator. Assuming a height of 1,768' and a diameter of 884', you need a strand 1,822.41' long. Assuming a lighted length of a typical string of leds at 16', it would take approximately 114 strings of leds per single strand of each color. Going by my original megatree which had 24 strands of each color that would be 2,735 strings of each color. Assuming 3 colors that's 8,208 strings in total and at 2.4 watts per string that's 19,699 watts. To take it further that's 684 cases of 12 sets of lights from creative displays. At an average of 144.00 per case that's 98,496.00. Of course 24 strands gives you 115 foot spacing at the bottom so you would want more strands  ;D

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, »
How long would it take to string them up?
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, »
My guess is that you wouldn't want to take them down in January....

How many of RJ's solar power plants would it take to power them up?

-Ryan Lucas-

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, »
If someone has nothing better to do you could calculate the hardware and cost to do it in RGB nodes and smartstring hardware  ;).

Of course my calculations would only work if there were no gravity to make the strands sag or add huge amounts of steel cabling to attach the strands to. I wonder how much a 114 string strand would weigh to haul it up there? Or if the tower could support 8208 strings?

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, »
I broke into a sweat just watching the video clip :o
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, »
That video is crazy! 

Funny about the mega tree talk;  I actually did some "consulting" for a friend who owns a car dealership who wanted to make his dealership's flag pole which is a 150' tall a mega tree.  Once I started talking about poured concrete anchors and guide wires for the lights the excitement wore off.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."