Author Topic: coolight.com  (Read 1357 times)

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
coolight.com
« on: August 17, 2010, »
Hello,
Has anyone worked with the Electroluminescent Wire that is sold on this sight?  They even have controllers for it! I think maybe the Lynx express would work with it after a change out of triacs. (part#771-Z0103MN-/T3 from Mouser). 
Having never worked with the stuff, I thought I would seek the wisdom of this esteemed panel!  <pop.. 

thanks,
foody
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: coolight.com
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, »
If I am using a Lynx controller, what can I use to power the wire? Does the wire run DC only?  Are these dimmable?

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, »
I've heard that there a lot of issues with EL wire though regarding a short lifespan where it grows dimmer and dimmer over a relatively short time. Not sure if there is any truth to it but it sure looks great.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I am using a Lynx controller, what can I use to power the wire? Does the wire run DC only?  Are these dimmable?

The wire actually runs on AC only.  Many kits come with an inverter that runs off of 12vDC and outputs the correct voltage and frequency for the color of the EL cable that the kit came with.  While in many cases you could connect the wire directly to the outputs of an Express, you would need to add a current limiting resistor (to protect the Express) and dimming would not work.   EL wire works kinda like a flexable flurecent light and like flurecent lights, standard diming methods like the Express uses will not work.  They can be dimmed but dimming of EL wire is a function of both voltage and frequency and would need a controller dsigned with that capability.  You could use a MR16 controller to drive the inverters that many of the EL wire kits come with and since many of them run on 12vDC you would be good to go with no mods to the controller.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, »
Hi Everyone,
I use Electroluminescent Wire  from coolight.com
hear a link to my Elf Band wire frame using Electroluminescent Wire

Yes there are dimmable I use a LOR DC Board CMB16D controller to drive the inverters on each channels as needed.

By the way I am going on my fifth year on this Elf Band wire frame using Electroluminescent Wire and only had to replace two inverters..
Jerry Plak

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Good elves...

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline occhristmas

• Christmas in the O.C.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, »
I have actually ordered products coolight.com.  I used the stuff to outline the Dallas skyline - and while the impact (when working) was a huge hit, it was too much of a hassle and I just do not think that it is worth all of the effort. 

First - waterproofing them is a challenge and they are not very bright.  You can check out some of the pictures on my website to see the el wire in action.  I was really happy that I got pictures early, because as toward the end of December, seems like I had the ladder out every night trying to figure out what the heck was wrong this time!!!