Author Topic: How PCBs are Made  (Read 641 times)

Offline galgon

How PCBs are Made
« on: June 29, 2011, »
I thought this might be of interest to some people on the board.  This link shows the step by step process on how PCBs are created. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline mokeefe

Re: How PCBs are Made
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, »
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

-Mike

Offline jess_her

Re: How PCBs are Made
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, »
hello DIY
I use to work at my dads board shop on the weekends doing maintenance to help him out, YUCK.  The link to the board shop shows a very modern manufacturing. Dad's shop was more manual. Panels having multiple boards were sheared out of raw stock using a sheet metal stomp shear. From there they went to the drill router room and stacked five deep and general ran three drill heads out of five.  The heads spin up to 20,000 RPM's and would automatically pick up drill. With a high pitch wine and a thump every second a hole is drilled then moving on to the next size until the panel drilled. Silkscreen by hand the resist and through a negative artwork (board layout) UV light exposes resist for the cooper you don't want to remove. The rest of the resist is washed off. Panels are etched removing the unwanted copper and then  through hole plated and tin lead plating copper. The white artwork is now silk screened onto the panel and back to the drill router to route out the boards again stacking them five deep.  The drill router room was the worst you feel like you've been rolling around in fiberglass insulation if you spend any time in there.

Jess
Only limitations in life is your imagination