Author Topic: Can i put my Express' in a garbage bag  (Read 4097 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Can i put my Express' in a garbage bag
« on: November 23, 2011, »
Can i put my Express' in a garbage bag and electrical tape around the cords to seal it off or will they overheat in the bag?

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
Re: Can i put my Express' in a garbage bag
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, »
I really wouldn't try to seal it up as you might get some condensation build up from the night before.  You go to target or walmart and one of the cheap pastic containers with a lid you could punch some holes in it for the cords and be good to go.  Some gaps in the holes will also allow some airflow if your worried about heat from drawing too much power.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, »
Please do not put your LE into a garbage bag.

Bill

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Please do not put your LE into a garbage bag.

Bill

<la..

Offline inzeos

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, »
If you are hard pressed for an enclosure go to your local big box store and pick up some sort of tupperware type plastic tub.  You can usually find nylon non-conductive stand offs at Radioshack or Home depot.  Some people often use cut up chunks of nylon tubing.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, »
I have a garbage bag over mine, well the closure anyways, just don't tie it, drape it over and leave it untied at the bottom. Ive been using a trash bag over my enclosures for years.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, »
If your using a CG1500 case there is no need unless you're trying to hide them.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, »
Yea thats mainly why, the mega tree is so bright when its on, so im trying to hide it the best i can.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, »
I have black bags over my enclosures. The enclosures are on posts 30 inches off the ground with the bags over them. I have them tied loose at the bottoms. Mainly to hide them from would be thieves, and to keep the cords dry.

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, »

Exactly why i do it, and yea as long as it is not tied shut, it wont sweat because the air blowing in and out keeps it dry inside.
I have black bags over my enclosures. The enclosures are on posts 30 inches off the ground with the bags over them. I have them tied loose at the bottoms. Mainly to hide them from would be thieves, and to keep the cords dry.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, »
Im sorry let me give more info lol.

They are in enclosures I have them on stakes atm but split some stakes as i was pounding them into the ground. I was wondering that if they fail i could put the enclosures in a garbage bag and lay them on the ground under the snow.  I live right under a street light and using them to hide them would be nice too rather than staked across the yard.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, »
I imagine that the bag even if untied laying under snow will not breath  <fp.

Exactly why i do it, and yea as long as it is not tied shut, it wont sweat because the air blowing in and out keeps it dry inside.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, »
I have visited my displays.  Although I can usually spot an enclosure, I do not really see them and I am part of the decorating crowd.  I do not believe that the regular non tech viewing public even notice them.  They are much to busy following the dancing lights and seeing along with the music.  Don't add extra work that is not needed.  Also having read many lighting enthusiasts forums over the last couple years I don't recall that theft is a major issue for controllers.  The bigger theft problem is display elements, like inflatables, blowmolds, lights. etc.  Of damage to display elements by vandals (not thieves).  If someone stole a controller how would they use it and where would they go to find out how to use it.  Too easy to trace so therefore no value.  I do put my name inside the case underneath the board where it can not be seen except by taking it apart.  The only thing I ever had go missing was a wire frame deer that "wandered away from the herd".  Not to say that it can't happen or has not happened, but it is rare.  Unless I was in a neighborhood with a rep for having things stolen, I would not worry about theft.  And with controllers in cases weather is not normally an issue.  btw, I use metal garden stakes to hang my controllers on they do not split when pounded in. Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, »
I know that black plastic is easy to come by, but dark fabric would do the trick and avoid any heat trap or moisture buildup  problems.

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, »
I paint my enclosures black. I also use these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to attach my controllers to. They work really well for me!

Donny