Author Topic: For sale 5v technicolor string. 50 count  (Read 2162 times)

Offline joshuashu

For sale 5v technicolor string. 50 count
« on: April 28, 2014, »
50 count with c9 caps 55.00 plus shipping

Offline joshuashu

Re: For sale 5v technicolor string. 50 count
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, »
Never been used, never tested,  just want to get rid of these, getting out of the hobby.

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, »
Bump.  These need to go. Anybody?

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, »
Are these the same lights referenced over in this thread You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If so, I'm not sure many people will be interested in spending $55 for them. I'm not sure if there was ever a resolution (I seem to recall something about reduced voltage making things better).

They do look nice with the caps on, and if they held up I would definitely be interested but not given the high failure rate.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, »
Yea, at over a dollar a node, wrong voltage, and a known high failure rate. you may be better off puting the string on craigs list.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, »
These are 5 volt. Got them this year. Don't have to be so rude.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, »
I was not trying to be rude and I'm sorry if it sounded that way but all I said were the facts.  You are selling the string for $1.10 a node while Rays are 36 cents a node.  You have also stated again that they are 5V but we use 12V so they are the wrong voltage for our controllers.  If a newbie buys this string and simply connects it to one of our controllers without isolating the power feed to the string and connecting that to a separate 5V supply, they will blow every node as soon as they power it up.  The highest failure rate was more for the 12V version but the 5V had some issues as well.  The Craig's list comment was not an insult, it was a suggestion to find a buyer more quickly.  You may also want to put a notice over at DIYC.  They tend to prefer and use 5V, are more familiar with the Technicolor nodes, and if the price is right, you might get a quick sale over there.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, »
So what do you suggest for a price?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, »
No rudeness intended, I am sure.

Myself, I bought 5000 12V technicolors.  I still have them but would not try to pass them along to anyone since I know my batch is bad.  (Yes, I did get compensation.)

If you know that the sting is good, without problems... then the $55 cost is reasonable -- but people will also be scared away.

If you are uncertain about the lights, not using them yet... then $10 might be a better price.  A better forum for 5V lights would be in your interest -- DLA uses 12V.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Khaler

• Parkside Christmas
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, »
Last year a lot of people got burned using Technicolor pixels.

What I don't get is that this "new" version of them hasn't been tested out in harsh conditions like December yet, right?

It sure looks like a bunch of people that got burned are getting ready to stick their hands back in the fire to see if it will happen again....

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, »
Can anyone recommend a controller for these on the cheap and a power supply?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can anyone recommend a controller for these on the cheap and a power supply?

Lots of the vendors in the wiki sell 5V power supplies.  If you have any Pixelnet devices you could also run this one string off a SSC or Zeus if you do power injection after the SSC/Zeus.  I think that you might need to do it on the end of the string as well, but I am not sure since I don't use 5V lights.  There's a reason we use 12V or higher systems. :)  Even some of the 5V guys are talking about running higher-voltage rails and using buck converters to supply the 5V they need to inject every X pixels.  Basically they're doing what we pay Ray (and other vendors) to do. :)