Author Topic: Repelling Squirrels & Chipmunks  (Read 2269 times)

Offline CB

Repelling Squirrels & Chipmunks
« on: January 02, 2011, »
Alright I got a little test for everyone.  This year I decided to add lights along my roof eaves and gables and after having them up about 6 days I noticed that some of the sections of my LED lights had "gone out"; after hoisting a ladder and inspecting the strands closer I noticed that either a squirrel of chipmunk had used my lights for a chew toy (insert full turrets breakdown from rooftop).  I fixed each section by splicing the wires back together after determining the string polarity.  Then I went to the local hardware store and purchased Deer Off a pepper spray mixture along all of my lights including the path to the roof along the redbud trees.  Keep in mind all doing this on a moistened and icy cedar shake roof.

After that the weather turned into a bitter cold that must have kept them at bay but the day before I took the lights down we had an Indian Summer of 60 degrees that must have brought them out of the holes.  While taking the lights down there were several broken sections once again.  I have already worked on some new anchors to hang the lights under my gutters on the eaves but I simply must decorate the gables because it will look too "off".

A good friend of mine is a union electrician and he told me that they chew on the lights because the shielding used attracts them, and he sees it all the time with low voltage cabling that they install in attics or interstitial spaces in buildings.  He only stated that the plenum rated cables apparently don't appeal the them but since there is not likely a way to get Christmas lights with plenum rated cable I am forced to come up with a different plan. 

Have any of you had this problem previously and if so how did you solve it?  I would love to have the time to monitor my lights during the day with my 410 in one hand and the 12 Ga in the other but something tells me my neighbors won't like that addition to my holiday display.

Thanks,

Corey

Offline tng5737

Re: Repelling Squirrels & Chipmunks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, »
I was wondering how you cut your coro...  Now I know, squirrels..    :)

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, »
It seems that squirrels and chipmunks, do not quite understand how to wire.

Bill

Offline gforman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, »
personally I like the 410 and 12 Gauge, but a pellet gun may be more neighbor friendly, and house friendly

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline CB

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, »
Just for future reference if anyone else seems to have this problem as well...in speaking with a commercial pest control person today I learned of a product called Ropel that is used to keep varmits from planted areas.  I procurred a 1 gallon jug and then placed a dummy sample of lights on my redbud tree and will leave them there for about a month.  After the lights were up I sprayed the product over the lights and the tree trunk all the way up to the gutter line, apparently the product will "stick" for about 1-2 months.  I also took the suggestion for the pellet gun and picked two of them off for now.  I did notice before resorting to the pellet gun that they did not seem to take the path along the redbud tree.  I will gladly share if this product works or not as I plan on being "that guy" and leaving that old string of lights up until summer (unlit of course) to see if they decide to leave them alone.

If that doesn't work I guess my son will have a new job of Squirrel Sniper for the holiday season.  Nothing says Happy Holidays like a 10 year old taking refuge in a tree and picking off squirrels with wreckless abandon.

P.S.  I am now changing all of my Cat 5 cables to plenum rated cable after speaking to my electrician buddy now though.  I am just waiting for him to find some cable that "fell off the truck".

CB