Author Topic: electronics for dummys  (Read 1160 times)

Offline shaunkad

electronics for dummys
« on: January 04, 2011, »
Is ther a good book to teach my self electronics. Or is there another site geared toward the newbie.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: electronics for dummys
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, »
What info are you looking for?

Like the theory of electronics? ie: Electrons flow from neg to pos
How each component work? ie:  diode  see info about it here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Google search works well, the above link to the wikipedia is good reading (search for more info there)
Many moons ago I took a electronics course at Lincoln Tech, Does a local school or college offer a night course?
You can get many books from a local library or bookstore, amazon ,etc

What is your goal, just a basic understanding, to make money in the electronics field, to be able to build your own stuff?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, »
My goal for now is to under stand the forum. Then be able to trouble shoot. Eventualy I would like to make my own stuff. I donot wish to make money now from this as it is a hobby and it would no longer be fun then. If i came up with something it the future and be like Bill Gates rich I might think about selling it. How ever if I am that lucky I should buy a lotto ticket for tonight. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, by shaunkad »

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, »
You can always go to radio shack and buy one of their 500 in 1 electronics kits. Thats a great way to get the concepts of DC electronics down a little.
Thats how I learned about DC stuff when I was a kid. Now creating your own stuff from scratch without plans is a much further leap and could take years for you to learn (I can't do it). However, following plans and being able to build and understand them, isn't that tough.
JMHO...some of the pros here may have better advice.

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, »
Most of the time, the information and instruction in this forum is geared towards us newbies. Some of the people here are electrical geniuses and have spent their whole lives learning about this stuff. They speak a different language. Sometimes a topic will get technical (like the wireless tester topic), but most of the time the technical stuff is dummied down for us.
It never hurts to learn new things and if you have a desire to learn it makes sense to do it.
my $.02

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, »
Well that makes sense. First there is a lot here to understand and figured out then apply to your needs (show style, what you want your show to look like, etc). Its one of the reasons why we tell most new members to take the time to read the forums and the wiki.  For most of us this is a hobby and in each and every hobby I have tried you find out there is more involved then you thought. To get a light show going, you need some music, some computer skills, some soldering skills, some electric skills, some creativity. Just like when I was doing trains, there is a ton of stuff to do and learn with that hobby just to get a train to run. Of course my one rule for any hobby is to have FUN and then to learn something new. So it takes time to learn and understand what is going on.

I'll use myself as an example. When I first joined DLA I didn't have a clue what DMX was and why it was a good thing to control my Christmas lights. Now as I previous posted I do have a electronic background so that does help along with using computers since 1982 while in high school.So what I did was join the dla chat room and kept asking RJ and others the hows and whys. Trust me RJ is an excellent teacher, we started calling him Professor RJ then he tells us he did teach at a college in FL. Once I got the dongle and built it and the lynx controller it didn't work right. RJ told me for a couple hours to try a different usb cable, finally I listen to him and tried a different one and it worked. Now after 3 show seasons I understand most of it but I am still learning.

Before you start to worry how to trouble shoot the controllers you first must build and use them. The assembly manuals are in the wiki and if you take your time (its not a race) and do it step by step it will most likely work the first time in fact most people build the first board perfectly and mess up the second one. Most of the time the problem comes down to soldering mistakes or not following the directions. RJ designs his boards to be easy to put together as possible and use without us needing to be a engineer.

The forums are laid out by function. The first section is new members, starting info, announcements the next is hardware (LE, Dongles, Wireless, etc)  Then a software area (vixen, lsp, prancer, xlights)  and a new stuff and troubleshoot open area, then the purchase section (current coop, closed, vendor, trade area)

Hope that helps some

Please continue to ask questions, we have no problems with it and in fact everyone learns from it. Its one of the things that keeps forums going

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, »
I have spent 1 day 8 hour and some minutes reading on this forum. I am a maintence mechanic by trade wich means I cantrouble shoot to the board level and when that is bad I get a new one. I have spent the last year on PC before I came here. this past season I ran 9000+ static lights and this is the next progression in the hobby that I fell into I did not look for it it found me. I under stand the little things on the board it is the other thing i want to under stand. the hows and whys and if i can read it then come here and ask I would be better off. 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, »
I have spent 1 day 8 hour and some minutes reading on this forum. I am a maintence mechanic by trade wich means I cantrouble shoot to the board level and when that is bad I get a new one. I have spent the last year on PC before I came here. this past season I ran 9000+ static lights and this is the next progression in the hobby that I fell into I did not look for it it found me. I under stand the little things on the board it is the other thing i want to under stand. the hows and whys and if i can read it then come here and ask I would be better off. 

Ok, ask way what is the first question?

Is it the computer, windows seq software
or DMX, dongle, cat5, wireless
or controllers, LE, SSR4, Aether, MR16

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, »
I have no questions just yet that I cannot read about. Once I get my first board  I will have alot. Had to back out of the LE coop  though so it will be a while before I can start anything. Unless I get an SSR4 or an DC16

Although I do not on a computer so where to start. All this time has been on my phone.