Author Topic: Reason for two power cords?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
Reason for two power cords?
« on: December 28, 2010, »
I've been through the build manual for the LE and I may have missed it, but I'm not sure.

I know the stock LE build requires two power inputs (two plugs in to the wall socket), but that it can be bypassed for just one.

Is there any benefit to using two cords? I'm under the impression that if it is two cords, it should not be two plugged in to the same circuit let alone the same outlet correct?

If I'm plugging in 16 100 count mini strings, one per out on the LE, then one 20A line in would be enough. Is the dual in just for higher amperage items?

Offline jstevens

• Professional Net Lurker
Re: Reason for two power cords?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, »
It has to do with anticipated current draw.

Typically, the cords can only handle maybe 10 amps safely, even if rated above that.  At least, figuring from a safety margin standpoint.  You can push it above that.

If you anticipate 10-12 amps per bank then I'd use two separate circuits for them, unless you know what else is on that circuit.  Most circuits are rated for 20 amps, some less than that (check your circuit breaker for actual ratings.)

If you're under 20 amps total (or whatever the circuit breaker is rated for, minus any other load on the circuit) you can plug both cords into the same outlet.

If you're under 15 amps total, wire it for one cord.

16 strings of 100 minis would be about .4 amps each, or about 6.4 amps if on at full brightness simultaneously.  I have a 32 string megatree on a 16 channel controller that has a single cord; that would be 12.8 amps realistically.  I figure 15 amps for safety margin, which leaves me 5 amps for other uses on that circuit.

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, »
It depends on your plans.  I have boards with 2 that I use for my regular mini stuff and boards with one input I use for LEDs which as we know require much less power. 

If you using C-9's or lots of incandescent bulbs, use 2. for safety sake.
Chris

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, »
Thanks guys!

I did stumble upon a similar post a little (ok, a couple of pages) farther down and it said almost the same thing.

Also suggested was building the board as normal and then using wire to "jump" it if only one cord was needed.

That may be the better way to go.

Thanks again!

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, »
I use triple taps for all my controllers as they all have two input cords.  I then feed each one with a single power cord.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I use triple taps for all my controllers as they all have two input cords.  I then feed each one with a single power cord.

I was doing this as well, but after taking a closer look at my power usage I removed the second cord and used a piece of SPT wire to get power to the second half since I did not want to use the technique in the manual of soldering a jumper in place.

Found out that all the lights physically on my house only take 2amps and I have a lot of lights.  But it does take 4 LEs and 1 SSR4 to control all the channels.  Gotta love those LEDs.

Mark if you ever get over here I will show you what I did and I can make you a great deal on a couple of feeders since I no longer need all that I have.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mcangeli

• Original Gangsta
    • Mcangeli
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, »
Feeders?

I've taken a look at the build photos in the "manual" and it seems easy enough :)

I'll try and stop by one day this week on my lunch hour...