Author Topic: SSC Measurements  (Read 1273 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
SSC Measurements
« on: August 14, 2011, »
Anyone with a Mic - can you give me exact dimensions of the SSC pcb?  Am looking into doing some custom cases with flanges so they can be surface mounted under the eves etc of the house.  Trying to see if I can get some of the avail sizes to work with holes/gromets on each end for the RJ45 and 3-pin connection pigtails we use etc.

Thanks

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: SSC Measurements
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

3 9/16" in length.  Just over 1 1/8" width.  Almost 3/4" in height with components installed, including the solder joints on the bottom, don't forget.

You might have the standard slight variations, so if you're really trying to get close I would leave a little leeway.  You also have to add the cable connections to this, to take into account.  I'd get an actual board to check for yourself.  PVC pipe is more forgiving, and is what I'm using.

Keith

"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Corey872

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, »
If you want mic measurements....I have a caliper, but:

Width:  1.136"
Length: 3.547"
Overall max height (solder joints on bottom to top of blue jumper):  0.640"
Max height with jumper removed (to top of pins): 0.565"
Min height (to top of chips, and assuming you bend jumpers 90 degrees): 0.435"

As posted above, I'd expect there to be some tolerance around those numbers.  The board dimensions seem pretty consistent on my SSC's  though everyone may solder a little differently.  If you're going with a tight fitting plastic case, I'd also leave some clearance for expansion/contraction of the plastic with temperature.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, »
Thank you much....

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, »
what I am thinking of trying to make work is the LP-31F from polycase at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Make the holes on each end for the cables, maybe grommets for waterproof ness.  Nice thing I like is the flanges, makes it easy for mounting and only 1" high vs the pvc pipe.  Also the possibility of using them out in the yard if you put a small bead of silicone on the lid edge before screwing them down.  Hopefully they will never have to be open.

What would really be nice, is PCB mounted RJ45 and 3-pin connectors direct on the pcb with ports cut out on each end for them, then just plugin each end and go.  I only had to redo 1 cat5 cable solder job because i got wires swapped, but i don't know how many times i forgot to put the darn caps on, or the pipe in the middle - darn TV :)

Ideas?  Comments?

Thanks
Myk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, by mykroft »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, »
Sounds good

Just curious why not use the pvc pipe and then use straps to attach it to the eves

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, »
Have thought about that and knew someone would ask :)

My main goal is convince I guess, the PCB mounted connectors would be so much easier and cleaner.  If I mount them on the eves, and leave the controllers under there mounted all the time, I have 2 pigtails to tie up, where PCB connectors - just plug in a go.  Plus to be honest, soldering a PCB mounted rj45 is easier than the wired pigtail :)  maybe I am getting lazy - dunno :)

oh, and where I am at in Montana - the thin wall stuff is not avail/for sale anywhere - so I had to use the thicker stuff :(