Author Topic: Output Problem  (Read 4793 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
Output Problem
« on: August 26, 2011, »
Ok, just finally got my power supply today for the hub, tested each port on the hub with a SSC w/test firmware - everything is good.  Plugged in a SSC to test with, pixelnet usb dongle, used the SS util and set the SSC to channel 1, 120 node flex strip - via com 10 - program jumped on, transmit - string starts flashing white like it should.

Now in both LSP and Vixen I can not get anything to light up using the test controller option in LSP or the channel test in vixen.  If I am able to program it from SS util > pixelnet usb dongle > hub > SSC - my hardware should be working correctly - right?

I did make sure LSP and vixen where set to my com10, 115k, neither program complains about not being able to access the com port etc - i just get no lights out of the flex strip.

Need some ideas on what to look for pls...

Thanks
Myk

Offline rm357

Re: Output Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, »
Did you use the drop down to select the number of nodes or type it in?

I think RJ fixed it in the latest version, but in the first version of the SS utility, there was a problem with typing in the number of nodes.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, »
about says 1.00, so i dont know if I have newest ver - but reprogramming right now using just drop down and will try it again here quick before work and post

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, »
Did you remove the test firmware and load in the real firmware?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, »
nope same - no output on LSP test controller hardware

I have both jumpers on pixelnet universe 1, dmx is on 1 also, but am not using dmx output.

So its got to be a software prob - but with both LSP and Vixen is weird - since the SSC is getting the programming signal...

yes, it is normal firmware - dont think the SS util will program test firmware, as when i plug it in, it does not rotate thru the colors like the test firmware would...

:(

Myk

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, »
try my color finder program. only one setting, com port

its in the wiki software page

it sends out to all 4096 channels

Rick R
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, »
Myk,
Is the pixelnet output plugin installed and configured in Vixen?

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, »
ok, will try tonight when I get home from work....

Thanks
Myk

try my color finder program. only one setting, com port

its in the wiki software page

it sends out to all 4096 channels

Rick R

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, »
Ya I redownloaded vixen, and let it update, then downloaded the pixelnet plugin from the wiki and put in plugins/output folder, did configure it etc com10 is where my pixelnet dongle is.

When I bring up the channel tester, click on channel 1 and the slider is at 100%, nothing comes on.

Myk

Myk,
Is the pixelnet output plugin installed and configured in Vixen?

John

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

Can you try a lower com port than 10?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, »
ok, moved it to com4, reflashed pic in dongle to make sure, tried different cat5 cables - still no go in any software - even the color picker software, but i can still program the ssc via the util program - even tried different sockets on the hub, and a different ssc

nada - nope - no blinkie :(

Myk

Offline Corey872

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, »
Sounds eerily similar to the issue I had when I missed a couple solder joints on the data input connector to the hub.  Might not hurt to check all the joints (especially data) for missed / cold / bridged joints.  Also if you haven't already done so, take a few minutes to clean up any solder flux especially at the data lines...probably won't make a difference but why chance it.

[Summary]... I found I could use the SSC program utility and get the strings to flash white indicating they were programmed, but could not get vixen output to the strings - even though the dongle indicated transmitting.  I set up Vixen on a separate computer and got the exact same result which seemed to point back to the hardware.  Looking at the Hub, I found the top row of solder joints [on the data input] had been missed.  <fp. I resoldered those and found the strings still wouldn't light - so I went back and re-ran the SSC set-up utility.  Same flashing result, though the string would then see output from pixelnet and work fine [/summary]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, »
I would concure it is likely a Dongle issue if we do not now it is working or the input to the hub. Make very sure you do not have a wrong cable (crossover ect.) or a bad cable. When you do the test firmware you will be useing just one cable and only need a few conducotrs to work for you to get power. If you send data you have at least two cables in the mix and both must work completely.  This has already been a repeated problem. That is why I highly recommend to everyone to order new factory made stranded patch cords.

You have it likely isolated to (cable issue, Solder joints on hub input, dongle issue)

Hope this helps you find it, if not get setup on teamspeak and pm me to setup a time to help you with it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, »
ok, let me check solder points on the dongle and hub before I take up your limited time.  Appreciate the offer/assistance.

I know it is not the cat5 cables, these are all pre-made purchased cables, molded connected etc.  I did double check to make sure they are not cross over cables.  Normally i only purchase blue colored cabled for this reason, and only yellow on cross over :)

Will be later tonight before I can check soldering on boards again as I have work here in 45 min - but will post results.

Thanks for everyones time on this...

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, »
ok, I have rechecked twice my soldering jobs - they look good to me - i did reflow on anything that looking questionable - but still no control.

If my dongle and/or hub was not working - how am I able to program the SSC?

I know I am getting power, test firmware works as expected when hooked thru all 16 ports of the hub.  I have tried 6 different commerial made cat5 cables with all the same results.

I even reflashed and check the firmware checksums again on the SSC, dongle and hub - but again if those where not correct i should not be able to program a SSC?

:(

Myk