Author Topic: Output Problem  (Read 4792 times)

Offline caretaker

Re: Output Problem
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, »
Myk, yes if you can use the SSC utility to program and can set the channels on a SSC  then yes your dongle is communicating to the hub and SSC. So my guess at this point is your having problems with both LSP and Vixen.  Try setting up a test sequence in Vixen using all 4096 channels of pixel net with 50ms timings and a random pattern on all the channels. If you get blinky at this point then we can start zeroing in on what other problems there may be. If there is no blinky then we need to make sure there is communication between the program, computer and finally the SSC (does the green light come on?) If your getting a green light then your getting communication between Vixen and the SSC so you will need to concentrate on that area. If your not getting a green light then your not communicating between Vixen and the dongle. Let everyone know where your at from the above tests and we can go from there.  I know this can be frustrating, but hang in there you will get it working!   
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, »
You are correct in your thinking. I forgot you can program it.

This leaves only the software setup. If my utility can program the string then the system is working. At the point you are done programming unless you are not moving the jumper back the data from other software should also reach it.

This is where a bunch of variables come in:
Is the software setup correct, Are you trying to control the channels the SSC has been programmed to, do you have the com port correct, are you sending enough data out. Try making a new test seq with 4096 channels set the plugin to use 1 to 4096 and try it.

Since you can program it I agree the hardware is not the issue. I simple send commands with special codes to the controller the same as if we send data to it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, »
ok, that is my thinking but let me throw another log into the fire...

Upon Rick's suggestion, I downloaded his SSC color picker program.  Only setup in his program is to set the com port, and then just slide the 3 color sliders to make a color - I cant get that software to work either.

What should be the com port specs?  buad, parity etc? 

I am gonna get out the laptop and install the dongle usb driver on it, and see what i can get it to do.  Maybe it is something else installed in my desktop computer makeing a conflict?

Will post here shortly with laptop test....

Thanks Guys

Myk

Offline caretaker

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, »
COM specs should be 115,200 Baud, 8 Bits, no parity and 1 stop bit (8N1) Make sure your USB serial port is using the FTDI drivers. Check out Bill's video on setting up a LYNX dongle (this is for DMX but Pixelnet is similar) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login just to double check what you are doing. 
Jeff Squires

Offline Corey872

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, »
Couple of other things - might want to check all the hub chips to make sure they are installed in the correct orientation and none of the pins accidentally folded up under the chip when it was inserted.  Also, look under Control panel > System > Device manager > Com ports and make sure the settings are correct under there as well... 115200, 8, N, 1, N.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, »
Couple of other things - might want to check all the hub chips to make sure they are installed in the correct orientation and none of the pins accidentally folded up under the chip when it was inserted.  Also, look under Control panel > System > Device manager > Com ports and make sure the settings are correct under there as well... 115200, 8, N, 1, N.

The problem with is that he can program the SSC so the data gas to be getting to the SSC. I am at the point of being sure it is software thing. You are taking the jumper of the SSC after programming correct? Cause this would do exactly this with everything working.  If not then don't feel bad, I have done it before.

RJ

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, »
OK...... (takes breath)

Installed the USB drivers on laptop, SS util, SSC Color Picker Util, and grabed list usb driver util to boot....

Got them installed, laptop is win7, tried the color picker (com 3) with no go.  Then I figured I will see if it will program SSC again.  SSC Util yelled about no com port access - had to run it in admin mode.  Programmed SSC and got white flashing....

Loaded up color picker again - and woot colors!!!!!

LSP - colors!!!!

ok, so what is wrong with my XP desktop.... :(

pluged it back into desktop - WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING - loaded up color picker - IT WORKS NOW? ??? 

now I am really stumped as to why.... - but it is blinkin! and I have alot less hair than I started with....

:)

Myk

PS - LSP on XP desktop is working also now....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, by mykroft »

Offline caretaker

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, »
Couple of things with XP and USB devices, make sure when you plug in the USB dongle you get the sound from XP that it is connected or better yet go an check in the device manager and make sure it is connected. ( leave my dongles plugged in once I begin testing/sequencing so I don't loose the com port number.) and make sure you do this before firing up Vixen or LSP.  Above glad to hear you got blinky! 
Jeff Squires

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, »
with usb serial devices, you can go into the control panel, and force them to a specific com port address - XP its current at com10, on the laptop it was com3

Offline Corey872

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, »
RJ - I completely agree with your reasoning - but that is what kept throwing me when I was troubleshooting my issue as well.  The string would flash seeming to indicate it was confirming programming, so I assumed the computer>dongle>hub>SSC>string link was working -  but I wouldn't get any output from Vixen.  In the end, I fixed my hub solder issues and corrected the orientation on some of the chips and still had no output until I re-programmed the SSC with the 'fixed' hub.  Then the blinky started.

I don't know exactly what triggers the 'confirm' blinking - is it actually looking at the program on a check-sum level and confirming they match?  Or is it just looking for some type of 'end of sequence' code and confirming that is received?  If the latter is the case, would it be possible intermittent contact on some components or Tx errors would allow the program to contain errors, but the string still blinks to confirm?

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, »
something i was wondering about, is it possible to read the data back out of the SSC to double check what is/was programmed?

Something simular to my usb dmx programmer cable I got from David to program the 3 channel dmx modules he sells.  Its got a read/view function.

Would be nice if possible if you forgot to mark starting channel on ssc case etc..

Myk

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, »
No I am afraid is unidirectional data. Nothing is sent back.

To answer the other question. It must send a proper string of verification code so I think if the data is hit and miss you should not program and if it does not finish it does not blink.

Also he used the smae hardware just a different computer.

RJ

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, »
well, its been 4 hrs now running a seq on a flex strip with current setup on XP desktop and everything is still working....

Am still not sure what the problem was as I didn't change any hardware between the laptop and desktop on the last diag test.. weird

I do appreciate all the suggestions/help etc to get this working.

I am now official in the world of the blinkie/flashie :)

Thanks
Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, »
ok, one that thing to add to all of this since i cant figure out why it would not work.

I had the other SSC still laying here - so i swap them, and when I plugged it in - no workie :(

so ...

SSC that was programmed via laptop works, SSC programmed via my desktop does not....

So I only have to assume even tho i got the white flashing during programming on both that something didnt get programmed correctly when it is hooked to my desktop.

RJ - if there is a way for me to use my pickit3 to do a TOTAL read of what is in the pic, I can do that and email to you if you want to look or want to take the time to look - otherwise for now I will just program them on the laptop..

Myk

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, »
ok, to further deepen the mystery....

just verified - SSC programed via my desktop - dont work
SSC programmed via laptop - work fine...

Reflashed the SSC with latest firmware from the wiki
programmed via desktop - then read firmware and noted the checksum
programmed via laptop - then read firmware and noted the checksum

they are not the same - and i double checked that i had the same options selected on both computers in the program util....

so, something on my desktop is messing with the programming, but the SSC thinks its getting the correct data and completes the programming - but I am going to assume that because the 2 checksums are different that this isnt the case.....

but what is funny about the desktop is that i cant program them, but it will drive data to them and it works....

Myk