Author Topic: Two PixelNet 16 Port Active Hubs - Installed in a PC Chassis  (Read 2137 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

Just finished my second Hub that I managed to purchase off another member here (thanks again)

Just finished soldering it all up. Ran some tests today and all is working fine (Yipee)

Earlier,I was looking at the different boxes and chassis's that I could use.

Finally I picked out a cheap $38 PC chassis from Fry's.

I modded it a little to get two PC Power Supplies inside, and also had to mod it to get two PixelNet 16 Port Active Hubs.

One hub is powered with an 850 Watt Power Supply, and the second hub is powered with a 700 Watt Power Supply (both are single rail 12Vs). So it gives me the option to increase the number of channels in the future  >.d9

Here's a couple of pics:

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
where's the "LYNX INSIDE" sticker?

I see it's a dual processor device too
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline peteandvanessa

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
where's the "LYNX INSIDE" sticker?

I see it's a dual processor device too

Haven't printed off the sticker yet (been too busy soldering)

Yep, dual processor inside, one on each Hub.

I've been really lucky, I've built two USB dongles, two hubs and 16 smart string controllers, and all have worked 1st time, apart from one smart string controller that wouldn't allow me to flash the firmware. Checked it out in detail and then I found that one of legs on the sockets was missing (and I mean, missing, it was never there, must have come to me from Mouser like that and I didn't catch it when putting the socket on the board). So I replaced the missing leg and flashed the firmware and all was working again.

Offline nvizzini

I like the duel redundancy of your system.
Neat job

Nicholas
Nicholas-Foster
Houston, TX

Offline peteandvanessa

I'm running the two hubs at the moment from two USB dongles, I plan to switch over to the ether dongle in the next week or so. That will then give me a back-up for Halloween if the Etherdongle gives me any issues.

I've tested it today with all 16 x 120 nodes on all white and the Power Supplies are barely warm. There's also a nice fan in the front of the case (with Blue LEDs  8) ) to keep it cool, but the power supplies don't really need the chassis fan.

Offline SteveMaris

Good idea. nice work.  8)

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
How are you going to run the cat 5 out of the case?, I suppose your going to run the Cat 5 where the I/O shield is or you going to cut out where the exhaust fans are supposed to be just curious.  Nice install by the way.  Love Fry's.

Offline peteandvanessa

How are you going to run the cat 5 out of the case?, I suppose your going to run the Cat 5 where the I/O shield is or you going to cut out where the exhaust fans are supposed to be just curious.  Nice install by the way.  Love Fry's.
     yep, that's correct,  I removed the IO shield so I can pull the cat5 cables through.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Nice job...  what power supplies (brand/model #) are you using?  Looks like you have room to put the EtherDongle in there too.

Offline peteandvanessa

Nice job...  what power supplies (brand/model #) are you using?  Looks like you have room to put the EtherDongle in there too.

The first main Power Supply is a single rail 12V 850w from Thermaltake:

The second Power Supply is a single rail 12w 700W from Coolermaster:

I'd say the Thermaltake is a far nicer and better built power supply than the Coolermaster one, and is supper quiet

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
Way off topic, but that is the cleanest workbench I've ever seen.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
he must have cleaned up for the picture!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline peteandvanessa

he must have cleaned up for the picture!

It's normally very clean, un-less I'm building something (which is most weekends ;) ), then it can get a little messy, but I always clean up my bench after a build is finished.
Even my RGB flexstrips are zip tied to 1" PVC pipe and are racked neatly up on the wall.

You can see in the background, all my tools are hung up in the "right place" on a peg board so if my son "borrows" one of my tools I immediately know it's missing.

A new wireless Access Point is being installed this weekend to hook up the Etherdongle (I like to stay organized)

Offline mitch09

Now just spray the whole thing with plasti-dip and it becomes an outside case!

;)