Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87669 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Project updates
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
RJ,  I read your earlier post on the aether coop and the reasoning for your thoughts.  Not offering a pcb option makes senses in some ways, but I would like to see more than one coop for the aether this year.  Because this is a new project and the cost might be prohibitive for some, makes having more than one coop  ideal.  I could see my self having up to 12 of these led fixtures, but not truly knowing the effectiveness of or  the limitations of the fixture I would prefer to purchase maybe 2 to begin with and see if the usefulness of the fixture out ways the costs.  Having only one coop for the aether makes that difficult.  If only one coop was to be offered this year than I think pcb's should be offered.  This is a DIY site and the DMX dongle is a prime example of how the members work together to find suitable parts when mousers is out of stock. Ultimately this will be your decision to make, but seeing the amount of time and energy you have spent on this project and how proud you are of its outcome, I would hope that maybe another coop would be offered this year.   As always thank you for your hard work and love of DIY.  We as members have grown from your being a part of our lives.     

Wow, I would not want to be anywhere near RJ's house for that talk. "Honey we need to cancel our Wedding Anniversary trip so I can have more than one coop for the Aether this year. Forget all about the hours of planning all the money deposit for airfare, boat, hotels, etc. I know we have been married all of this years and the coop does not benefit us at all but ....."

Nah, One coop should be plenty. Order a few Aether's this year and be able to expand next year if you like.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Caliente Christmas

« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2010, »
Here, Here

One Coop is good enough,  so much more to get together and five and half months to go.  I think with so many new members coming onboard that a couple small express coops will benefit them over the Aether.  Aether is more of a bonus to what we have established already.  I admit the Aether is a great tool and benefits many needs, but I think with what we have seen 1 or 2 Aethers will amaze viewers. 

Well thats just my two cents. 

<md.. Caliente Christmas  <md..

Offline BryanV

« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2010, »
we should be very thankful for all that RJ has done for us.  Like Rick stated we can't expect RJ to put his life on hold so others can benefit.  Order what you can afford this time and plan for the next coop.
Let's not get greedy <res.

Offline BigGunFish

« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2010, »
Thanks RJ, I look forward to playing with this one.

Stephen

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2010, »
Their are many reasons it would not be possible for the Aether to have more than one coop this year. One is that the lead times on some of the parts we are looking at are 2 months. With such lead times and the time a coop takes to run get paid to be able to order it would not be practical to have two. The seond one likely would not finish in time for anyone to build them.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline batdive

« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2010, »
Their are many reasons it would not be possible for the Aether to have more than one coop this year. One is that the lead times on some of the parts we are looking at are 2 months. With such lead times and the time a coop takes to run get paid to be able to order it would not be practical to have two. The seond one likely would not finish in time for anyone to build them.

RJ

Yes 1 is good, drive prices down to like 30 bucks each  ::)  So every boy and girl can have well at least 6?

Offline Dlights

ReAether Project
« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2010, »
I was wondering about the time frame for the first coop start for the Aether. Does anyone  have any further information at this time ? 

I would also like to add my appreciation for all the  hard work and dedication that RJ has contributed, for the benefit of all . Hat's off to you sir ! 

Dlights

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2010, »
While I would love them at $30, the cost of the LEDs alone is around twice that in quantity.
/mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #353 on: June 13, 2010, »
Mike is correct on the cost. The unit is in beta and the last parts are expected early this week. So it all depends on the beta and if it all works OK so I get the go ahead.

How fast the coop happens will be dependant on the coop manager after that.

RJ

Offline lortiz

« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2010, »

RJ

Hi RJ,

Suggestion on the parts that have long lead time.

Can a COOP be created to buy these parts alone ? I am planning for example to order 3 Aether units on this first coop but will  order more and more in future coops and would not like these parts to be unavailable at that time, so I would order 10 now (example) in this special COOP....

Just thinking  : )
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2010, »
I believe this would lead to too many issues I would prefer we leave the coops to where you order a complete coop kit for one device. Alot of these items are new and once the coop runs the stock should start to come up like other units in the past. The coop manager and I will work to overcome the lead times as much as possible. Sometimes if we have enough we can work other channels to get stuff quicker. Sort of like the 529 unit express coop when no one had transformers and the lead was 8 weeks. I had them on the ground here in 4 days. We will do all we can to make it as soon as possible to everyone.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: June 14, 2010, »
The final video in the Aether build series is up. This is the case installation. I am sorry it is so long but It takes much longer to explain than it does to do.  ;D

RJ

Offline rmonty

« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2010, »
Thanks for the videos RJ.  I assume the parts that will not be provided, and that you are calling out in the video, will be listed on the Wiki or on this site somewhere?  Thanks!

Ryan

Offline lortiz

« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2010, »
Hi RJ,

Could you please check the portable light from Harbor Freight Tools, item #66433 and let us know if it is the same exact fixture as the one you are using from Northern Industrial? If so then we can use this supplier as alternate source.

Northern Industrial does not have the dimension specs on their fixture.

Thanks,
Barbara Sher - "Doing is a quantum leap from imagining."

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2010, »
Not sure if I should start another thread for this but I'm wondering what the 120 V AC current draw is at full brightness? In anticipation of the comming coop I am starting to source out the parts I'll need and for my application I will need some custom length power cables.

Wondering what the full load current draw will be so I can size the cabtie cables I need to get?

Thanks,
Bob
zappedmyself.com