Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87663 times)

Offline austindave

Re: Project updates
« Reply #360 on: June 17, 2010, »
Bob,

If I remember correctly (which, I admit, I may not), RJ said these are 3W LEDs. Six of those would be 18W. If you assume VERY worst case & say the power supply efficiency is only 50%, that would lead to a 36W power draw. Adding a lot of extra slop for safety, I would plan for - like - 1/2 amp at 120 volts (that's one half amp). Actual value is probably more like 1/4 Amp, but for planning purposes, 1/2 amp should be a good ballpark.

Note that for safety planning purposes, the fuse size specified for the Aether (which, as far as I know, has not yet been provided) times 1.5 would be the maximum worst-case value.

Hope this helps.

--Dave
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, by austindave »
Austin, Texas - "BubbaLand"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi RJ,

Could you please check the portable light from Harbor Freight Tools, item #66433 and let us know if it is the same exact fixture as the one you are using from Northern Industrial? If so then we can use this supplier as alternate source.

Northern Industrial does not have the dimension specs on their fixture.

Thanks,

Appears to be but can not say 100% for sure with out ordering one. Make sure it is not black the inside will get hot from the sun. We want the case to remove heat not bring it in.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2010, »
Not sure if I should start another thread for this but I'm wondering what the 120 V AC current draw is at full brightness? In anticipation of the comming coop I am starting to source out the parts I'll need and for my application I will need some custom length power cables.

Wondering what the full load current draw will be so I can size the cabtie cables I need to get?

Thanks,
Bob

Fuse is 1 amp in the unit. The load is less but for safety use that as you guide.

RJ

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2010, »
RJ, accuse me of wanting to be spoon-fed, but could the various screws, nuts, L-shaped pieces of aluminum, et cetera be included in the co-op kits?

For the Lynx Expresses I put together, I can't imagine how much more time and effort going to the store and looking for the exact fit screws, nuts, and spacers it would have involved if I had to go to the hardware store to buy all those little pieces for the 16 channels' heatsink assembly. And more often than not, the screws we'd need aren't available in bulk, so we would have to pay through the nose for those ridiculous blister packs where we'd end up having all these extra screws that would just get dumped into the growing can of miscellaneous screws we hall have, but rarely use because it's a pain to search through them all to find a set of matching ones afterwards. And the Aether has bunch more different screws and nuts than the Lynx Express. As helpful as it is to have the Home Depot part/SKU/barcode numbers, I live in Canada and the numbers are likely different, and I'd have to make several trips back and forth to the store until I get exactly what I need.

If the screws were included in the co-op kits, they can be bought in bulk, and even if our cost to assemble an Aether didn't decrease as a result, at least think of the number (hundreds) of people who don't have to go to the store and look for the stuff. Think of the carbon footprint saved!  :D

And while I'm whining...  :)  I'm still new to this, but I thought that the data wiring for DIY Christmas Light blinky flashy is generally CAT5 with RJ45 connectors... and then in the video I see the round DMX connectors on the outside of the light's casing.  I would have imagined something like this:

Plus, from the looks of the example above, it requires drilling only one hole to mount, rather than three that have to be precision-drilled (and more prone to mistakes and leaks!). Plus, there are less screws to deal with.  ;)

So, RJ, buddy, what do you think about my pleas?
 <yk..

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, by Gary »

Offline deplanche

« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2010, »
When the testing is done, and the coop gets going, do you think it would be possible to have an option for including a DVD with the how-to videos on it?

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2010, »
If you log in to vimeo, you can download the files directly.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2010, »
It will be up to the coop manager that runs the coop weither they include hardware.

RJ

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #367 on: July 03, 2010, »
Beta Build Pics

Here are some pics of the beta build process.  SMD parts have been flowed, LED have been glued to PCB and ohm checked against board for shorts.
The LED's still need to be soldered and the rest of the board finished up.

You will see pics of the paste being applied, the board being flowed, and LED's being attached.

Bill

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: July 03, 2010, »
More Pics

Bill

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: July 03, 2010, »
Even More Pics

Bill

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: July 04, 2010, »
Hi Bill

Looks great!!

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: July 04, 2010, »
PCB Build Complete.  ;D
Now it just needs a case.

This light is BRIGHT[/size][/color]

The pic that show channel 4 (White) RED, GREEN, And Blue On is at 65 out of 255.  At this low setting it's blinding the camera

Bill

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: July 04, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Nice work, Bill.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline RJ

• Administrator