Author Topic: Good News is Bad News  (Read 1717 times)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Good News is Bad News
« on: April 28, 2010, »
Hi Folks,

My township has decided to install new street lights. That is good since they are like "daylight" and bright and energy efficient along with installing solar panels.

The bad news, the light is directly across the street from my house. Now half of my yard is lit up, no way my light show this year is going to look right. Like when the Christmas lights are off or dim they won't "disappear" or fade. Kinda of puts the mega tree thoughts on hold for a while.

My buddy at work thinks the street lights will dim down some as time goes on. I can only hope

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
Re: Good News is Bad News
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, »
There's always a bb gun, just sayin.

That was my first thought, but knowing that's illegal, maybe contact the township commish's, and ask for a variance to shut down the light during holiday season. Just an idea. But start early, government is so slow

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, »
There's always a bb gun, just sayin.

That was my first thought, but knowing that's illegal, maybe contact the township commish's, and ask for a variance to shut down the light during holiday season. Just an idea. But start early, government is so slow

Thanks but I have never been into vandalism :D

Wondering if they can adjust the light so it stops at the curb

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, »
Feel for ya Rick... but I'm sure you'll figure out a work-around!

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline crazybob

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, »
Not saying this should be done, or is even legal, but we had the same problem when I used to do my halloween display. We mounted a laser pointer in our yard and pointed it up to hit the sensor on the street light, causiing it to turn off. The laser pointer could be set to turn off after your show is over so it's not too dark on your street.
Looking back, I would have felt horrible if there was an accident on our street because it was too dark. Do it at your discretion.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, »
One person on another forum was having about the same problem.

The most creative solution was if the street light uses a photo cell to turn it off and on, then use a light bulb on a extension cord close to the photo cell to keep it off during the season. Put a timer on it just to turn it off during the show times.
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, »
Rick,

I've got a light in my front yard right next to my driveway.  It definitely lights my yard up, but honestly it doesn't seem to affect my show that much.  I don't mind and everybody that watches the show doesn't seem to mind either.

Is the new light already in?  Throw some lights out in the yard.  I think it will still look OK.

Ron

Offline J4A4E

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, »
Hi Rick,

You might consider duct taping the side of the globe that faces your house.

John

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions

Ron, yes the light is already installed. I will put out some lights for my birthday (did he say Christmas in July??) to see how it looks.

Thanks again

Rick R.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Rick, you just need about a dozen or so of the
Lynx Universal Mirror Encoded Node Sequencers.

The servos position the mirrors to reflect the street lamp into the crowd's eyes, all by DMX control.  Spring for kit options R, G, and B film covers in the Coop.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

Rick, you just need about a dozen or so of the
Lynx Universal Mirror Encoded Node Sequencers.

The servos position the mirrors to reflect the street lamp into the crowd's eyes, all by DMX control.  Spring for kit options R, G, and B film covers in the Coop.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I TOTALLY forgot about the LUMENS (Lynx Universal Mirror Encoded Node Sequencers) and it just might work. I did hear that ver 2 will have face and eyes recognition instead of the basic head recognition in ver 1 . Plus there will be a K option as you know that will identity Kids to provide triggers for candy cane dispenser and special music along with other triggers not yet released to the general public. I am hoping that for the C option so we can change the whole/sections of the display Color to match the eyes of the people/person watching the show. Of course putting that many Aether units facing the crowd (in my case one person) could cause eye problems. But that is the cost of enjoying the holiday.

More things to think of

Thanks

Rick R.

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, »
 Good News is Bad News
« on: Today at 07:52 AM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks,

My township has decided to install new street lights. That is good since they are like "daylight" and bright and energy efficient along with installing solar panels

I work for a electrical company and what we do for our customers is paint the globe on the side that needs to be darkened this way there is still a little light that can still come through but it is not as bright but does not impede on any trafic issues try asking your electric company to do this it is very common
Jeff

Offline chrisl1976

• Lights on Sixth
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, »

Wondering if they can adjust the light so it stops at the curb

See if they wull allow you to put duct tape on the back half of the light.  It will reduce the spread of light and should darken your area.  The tape should hold for a month. 
Chris

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, »
Rick,

JJ called the power company and said he didn't want the light shining in the windows of his house and they fixed him up in fine style. They put a light guard to keep it from shining in the yard.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline solidmodeler

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, »
I have street lights at both ends of my front yard. I just asked the street commissioner every year and they come and turn them off for the season. In fact when they came back after the first of the year to screw bulbs back in he told me he would be back Friday after Thanksgiving to remove again. Of course I live in a town with less than 6,000 residents. Sometimes it is real nice to live in small town USA  ;D
Michael

Lights, more lights, more controllers, more, more, more