Author Topic: Problem with Location  (Read 1558 times)

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
Problem with Location
« on: May 02, 2010, »
So I was planning on having a show at my house this year, but my family says NO. :( they said i could do whatever I wanted anywhere else, just not a the house. So I am trying to think of places I could run my light show. One of the parks in town is already used up by a show at christmas time, so that is out of the question. Im really having trouble figuring out a place to have it. Any one have any idea?

Thanks,
Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - Second year for dimmable animation
   - 184 Channels of Blinky Flashy :D
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights
It's gonna be fun!! :D

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
Re: Problem with Location
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, »
neighor across the street..........  that way you can watch it every night .........   <la..

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, »
I am considering that lol  ;D
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline scharbon

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, »
So why does the family say no?  Is it because they don't want to see it or they don't want to see the traffic nightmare?  The answer to that question might help us come up with some solutions.

Steve

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, »
Well, first of all Im 16, so I still live with my parents and whatever they say goes, and my dad said he doesn't want to draw attention to our house because of thieves, and we live way off a busy high way, so that alone isn't a good thing for traffic. And he will not admit it, but he is freaking out about the power bill, even though it doesn't take as much electricity as he thinks.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline BigVettePimp

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, »
How about a local church or other charity type org. Put out a donations box and enjoy your contribution to helping others and making the holidays a little happier too.
Just my take on it.   ;D

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, »
I have thought about my church, but they too are off a busy high way, so idk. But I did find a place today that I am really liking. I think I will contact our Parks Department to see what they would say about it.

Jesse
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights

Offline scharbon

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, »
Jesse,
  All good points from your parents' perspective - to include the light bill!  Might not be as much as he thinks it is, but it will still be more than he is willing to pay.  I like the church idea, mayber there is more than one church in your town?  I would be interested in how the park idea turns out.   

Steve

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, »
Hi Jesse,

First its great to hear a younger person wanting to put up a light show and I do believe you will do a great job.

My First year doing a computer control light show my electric usage dropped big time compare to a static light display. The second year it was slightly less compare to the static usage but that was from a couple of reason. One more channels, two long show schedule (ie: more hours). The reason for less electric usage. Not all lights where lit a 100% for each night of the display. Lights that are off or dim use less electric of course LED lights will use less than standard lights.

One point of caution (I really hate to bring this up) The Lynx hardware is NOT UL rated. You (every DLA member) agree when signing up not to use Lynx hardware in a commercial environment. Only personal use is allowed on private property. I am sure I got the wording wrong but the general idea correct.

Good luck and I really hope things work out for you.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi Jesse,

First its great to hear a younger person wanting to put up a light show and I do believe you will do a great job.

My First year doing a computer control light show my electric usage dropped big time compare to a static light display. The second year it was slightly less compare to the static usage but that was from a couple of reason. One more channels, two long show schedule (ie: more hours). The reason for less electric usage. Not all lights where lit a 100% for each night of the display. Lights that are off or dim use less electric of course LED lights will use less than standard lights.

One point of caution (I really hate to bring this up) The Lynx hardware is NOT UL rated. You (every DLA member) agree when signing up not to use Lynx hardware in a commercial environment. Only personal use is allowed on private property. I am sure I got the wording wrong but the general idea correct.

Good luck and I really hope things work out for you.

Rick R.

The lot is private property, but it is in town, thats what I meant by public location.
2011 Plans:
   - 8 RGB Flood Lights