Author Topic: Is the gallery broken? (kind of solved at least understood)  (Read 2224 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
i've tried to use the gallery yesterday and today on nutcracker123, but I never get anything other than a blank result.  Just wondering if something got broken in the move.  Here is a screen capture.  It does say please wait, but I have waited a long time and never gotten any results.  Tried different selections all with the same result.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Is the gallery broken?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, »
I don't think it is broken. I will check it when iv get back from a airport. Sending my three kids to grandmas for a week.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Further Edit:

I am able to open the browser without issue using the following browsers:

Safari, Chrome, Firefox

I don't run IE on any machines so I don't have the ability to test on IE.  Are you using Microsoft's Internet Explorer? 

Let me know what browser you are using.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, by kgustafson »
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, »
Using chrome, I never touch IE except the few sites that seem to require it or for the tutorials.  I open up joinme in chrome and the big blue button in ie, each on separate screens.  If I just open the gallery and wait for the default screen I never get the first 10 images.  If I change to a unique effect which should have less items (at least in the past) like butterfly, I still get nothing.  After waiting for 10 minutes, I give up.  I have a very fast internet connection, a very fast computer, but no gallery.

This is the page I am on.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, »
I have the same issue.  Perhaps it's an authority issue?
It's not the fast pace of life that bothers me....
....It's the sudden stop at the end!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, »
DITTO

Same issue here.

All I see is the basic screen and 'Please Wait. . . '

Chrome

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, »
Make that 4 with Firefox

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, »
The Gallery works for me on Chrome.

I had the exact same problem you are seeing, it would say "Please Wait" for hours and never return any images. I wish i knew how, but the problem went away and it now works.

We know gallery has a problem with IE, but i was getting the "Please Wait" on both firefox and chrome last week. Now , both work.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Gallery works for me on Chrome.

I had the exact same problem you are seeing, it would say "Please Wait" for hours and never return any images. I wish i knew how, but the problem went away and it now works.

We know gallery has a problem with IE, but i was getting the "Please Wait" on both firefox and chrome last week. Now , both work.

I think I need to re-write gallery in a non-JSON non-Ajax way.  Ajax is just giving us way too many headaches (Ajax is a javascript based client store and forward type application.  It runs all the calls to the web browser via javascript calls.  I used it because it gave a nice interface for the user to have a 'realtime' like experience when changes were made to the search criteria.)  I personally haven't had much issues with the gallery program, however, I also have very permissive browser permissions (this is a configuration choice via each person's locally installed browser).  I have a hunch that these permissions on the browser are what are given people issues.  I will work on an 'old-school' gallery browser with a standard html form.  It will be 'clunker' but more reliable.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, »
Why don't we just work out the settings for Chrome or the like?

I like the way the graphics are presented and usually when you start messing with code that works your chances of creating other problems increases.

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, »
Kurt / Sean, can you log in as someone other than yourself and see the gallery?  I'm using Chrome, and just see Please wait.  Not a huge issue now as I use a local install, but it's nice to see what others did, and I haven't yet figured ot how to generate everything on my local machine.

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Kurt / Sean, can you log in as someone other than yourself and see the gallery?  I'm using Chrome, and just see Please wait.  Not a huge issue now as I use a local install, but it's nice to see what others did, and I haven't yet figured ot how to generate everything on my local machine.

I logged in as you on nutcracker123, the gallery works fine.

it is not the user, it is probably something in the way your browser, your security settings, something local that is effecting this.

like i said, i had a couple o days where i got the "Please Wait" using chrome. I may have rebooted, i dont remember but i came in the next day and gallery was working again. I certainly was not playing with any settings on my browsers. I am on windows 8 on this box.

I do know how frustrating this can be for all of you. The gallery is very popular.

BTW, i did update the gallery so we went from 5000 to 5200 effects. The new create_gallery.php will not make an entry when it finds a gif file unless the effect is still in the database. We used to be at 9500 effects. This is better because now when you copy you know that it will be clean.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, »
Sean, is there a way to Create gallery for all users on a local install? create_gallery appears to do just the current user.

Offline Voltorb

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, »
Very strange, Those of you having problems with the gallery, try this:
Go to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Try to go to the gallery.

I find that if I go to the old site, I get redirected to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (notice the addition of www) , the gallery does not work.

Sean, how can I generate all animated gifs for all users in the database on a local install?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, »
I rebooted my notebook and it came back.

I tried the link above and that seems to work as well.

I vote for NOT changing the programming just using the alternative link when the direct approach failes.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, »
Very strange.  The direct link does work for me as well.  I went back to my old bookmark and went thru the redirect.  No gallery.  I edited the address by removing the "www." hit enter and get access denied with a login page.  Log back in and the gallery works.  Looks like something with the way the new website is set up to me.  I am going to mark the thread as solved.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA