Author Topic: CHRISTMAS ALREADY!  (Read 613 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
CHRISTMAS ALREADY!
« on: September 29, 2012, »
funny how the retailers are setting up christmas displays and you hear 99% of the people that walk by the display saying   "christmas already". i told the sales clerk how i used to be one of those people...until i found blinky flashy! now i'm glad to see it, it means that show time is right around the corner. this is my first year of true animation and i am anxiously waiting for thanksgiving night. let the show begin!

duane

working on 272 channels of lynx express with a proposed 20,000 plus leds
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline kjam22

Re: CHRISTMAS ALREADY!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, »
I don't know about you guys but christmas starts in January around here - planning, building, dreaming....

Have a deal with the wife though, I don't usually start sequencing until August so she doesn't have to listen to the music year round!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, »
I think that the real issue is that it take a lot of the fun and spirit out of it for many, including myself.  I have no problem to a point with some of the stores setting up shelves with lights and some of the decorations for sale but when you see the Christmas trees set up and decorated, Christmas Villages set up on the shelfs every possible decoration being displayed and it's not even October, that really takes the life out of it for me.  And then, God forbid that you need something in December, because by then the stores are sold out.  Then on top of it right next to the Christmas stuff for about a month is all of the Halloween crap.  By the time Christmas actually rolls around, I'm getting tired of seeing it already.  I can say that the amount I spend on gifts has gone WAY down because there is no drive or excitement in it anymore.  The spirit of any Holiday ony has so much life in it and even Christmas really only has about a month.  Any longer and it beginsto lose it's excitement and 3 1/2 months is way over the top. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, »
kjam, you need some good headphones!   ;D

No argument Christmas continues to be exploited.  'Tis American?  Probably...

With blinky I try to tap into the Christmas magic that big box stores can't sell.  I still remember being a young kid whisked into a car in the middle of frigid night as we drove to a neighborhood not far from our house that light their sidewalks with gallon milk jugs and tea lights.  Wow.  That was like 30 years ago and I still remember it. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."