Author Topic: Lynx Express PCB ver. 4 vs ver. 5 LED issue  (Read 2052 times)

Offline inzeos

Lynx Express PCB ver. 4 vs ver. 5 LED issue
« on: September 27, 2010, »
Hello,

Could someone elaborate on the below stated problem that was correct in the LE PCB ver. 5?

"Added (16) 47k ohm Resistors(Snubber) for LED string issue. Added a Jumper for system board reset/restart. Added Real time Data Link LED and 1k ohm resistor. "

I understand that the jumper and additional LED are convenience features.  However, as someone who has all LED lights in our display currently what is the LED string issue that was present in the ver. 4 PCB?

Thanks,

Leif

Offline Greg

Re: Lynx Express PCB ver. 4 vs ver. 5 LED issue
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, »
Here is some discussion of the phenomenon that snubbers can help with.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not everyone experiences this and the fix for non-snubber equipped controllers is to simply add the resistor on the output or externally across an electrical cord plug that you plug into the last string.  With more folks using LEDs it made sense (and cents) to integrate them into the controller so RJ always being a step ahead of the competition incorporated the snubbers into the V5 controller layout.

Greg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, by Greg »
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline inzeos

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, »
Thanks Greg.  So for people who are using 100% LED lights it is most desirable to source Lynx Express ver. 5 board so as not to have to augment a resistor into a PCB, which was not designed for it (Lynx Express boards ver. 1 through 4)?

Offline Greg

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, »
I think its unfair to characterize the versions prior to V5 as not designed for LEDs.  Many if not most folks never see the phenomenon.  It seems to be more of an issue when MANY strings are on a single channel increasing the capacitive effect that causes it.  It was only after early adopters made substantial investments in LEDs that the potential issue "came to light"  so the V5 is an improvement on a well proven design to eliminate a potential issue that may arise for some.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline D56VillageNut

• Patron Member
    • Thompson Snow Village
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, »
Leif,  

If you are planning on running strings of LED's, a v4 will work and it's not necessary to try and mod the board or the lights.  There are some easy to make snubber designs out there that plug in to the end of the LED string.  The gang at our local mini made a bunch using an inexpensive plug and a resistor and then filled the assembly with silicone.  There is a link in the thread that Greg posted but I'll put it here as well.  

That thread is rather long but it is definitely worth the read.

Alan T
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, by D56VillageNut »

Offline inzeos

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, »
Here is the substance of the easiest terminators thread.  I have started to build mine after procrastinating on ordering the parts.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Garrison

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, »
Here is the substance of the easiest terminators thread.  I have started to build mine after procrastinating on ordering the parts.

Thanks for making this Jim! This is really helpful.