Author Topic: load balancing  (Read 2157 times)

Offline rimist

load balancing
« on: November 26, 2011, »
I know the amp limits per channel (4) and per express (40), well, technically I think it is 20 amps per half express ( channels 1-8 and channels 9-16).

My questions:
1. is it better for the express to balance the load between the two halves?
2. Is it better for the express to balance the load between individual channels?

My situation: i currently only have one express and one ssr4-dmx built. My wife wants me to start out the lights with what I have built before ordering more components ( the good news is she isn't against me buying more to build another express and ssr4-dmx).

Here are my lights, one channel per line
2 strands old fashion c9 opaque multicolor coming in at 1.38 amps each
2 strands white icicles
2 strands blue/white twincicles
2 strands white stars & 1 strand white snowflakes
2 strands old fashion c7 opaque multicolor
2 strands old fashion c7 translucent multicolor

I'm going to use 3 channels for six homemade RGB snowflakes using c7 bulbs ( dollar tree clip lights, dollar tree snowflakes, perhaps dollar tree reflectors if it needs it. The quantity might increase, if I can give more clip lights) ( also could become RGBW)

Undecided how I'm going to split up the channels for various lawn sculpture pieces, ie deer, horses with sleigh, rocking horse, skiing bear, metal tree, blow mold manger scene, floodlight, incandescent lighting for bushes ( few thousand bulbs) as well as 350 c7 led multicolor lights, 75 c7 led white lights, 150 c9 led multicolor lights

I'm using the ssr4-dmx to animate an air blown band that the original circuit board got fried on.

I know it's a small show, but I've a small yard. If time permits, I'll add some arches, a small mega tree ( lol) and a waving Santa, as well as a moving Rudolf.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, by rimist »
- Rimist

Offline combustionmark

Re: load balancing
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, »
I don't see any problem. You have 20 channels, use them. I would worry if you were using 500W halogen lights, or projectors. Best to start small.

If you feel your display is too small, You can have lights that are not animated, and still look good.

Get them lights up, write some sequences, show the wife what you've done, and get more stuff.

Have Fun
Have Fun!

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, »
It's best to try to balance the load so that you dont have anything maxed out.

If you have a 20A outlet, you can pull 20A, but things are going to get warm... It's better to stay below 80% load, which would be 16 amps per half on the express - assuming you are feeding it from two separate circuits (the outlets have different breakers).

Unless you have had extra circuits installed for the Christmas lights, the total amount of power available will more likely be your limiting factor. I've only got 3 15A circuits available... one from the garage, one from the porch, and one from the corner yard lights. There are lots of outlets in the garage, but it is all the same circuit.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rimist

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would worry if you were using 500W halogen lights, or projectors.
<yk.. Um.... I've had a slide projector for years (only single image, but still)

.... and, since you brought it up  <fp. I was thinking about using a 500 watt halogen light or two. Just wasn't sure if it would kill the halogen bulbs
- Rimist

Offline rimist

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, »
Unless you have had extra circuits installed for the Christmas lights
Went with dedicated circuits a few years ago, after I started melting extension cords and popping breakers all over the house. Adding a few more this year ;D
- Rimist

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, »
A good item for any light show fanatic enthusiast to have on hand is the P3 Kill a Watt meter You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  for $20 you can find out exactly how many amps your pulling on each channel/controller/outlet so you don't have to worry. With that said I have never really load balanced my display as most of my channels have a very low amount of amperage on them and of course since there flashing on and off I don't rarely have the whole display on at once. But since everyones display is different it is a good idea to know what each channel is pulling and if you can balance the load evenly between channels/controllers/outlets you will be better off.
Jeff Squires

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, »
I live in an old house, Have only 60 amp service panel. I decided to go all led, It is amazing how little power leds use, Even still I do trip my main breaker. I can't flash all my lights at one time, but I can have them all on. No Don't Use the Microwave!! There must still be a start up current rush. And that current rush is what you should plan on, It's a show killer. The kilowatt meter Is a good tool to help with figuring out load.

Your normal house outlet is only rated for 15 amps, on dedicated circuits use the 20 amp outlets. They cost more, but are worth it. One breaker per 8 channels.

The 500W halogen life will be shortened, significantly. That is also 4 to 5 amps, I did experiment, the express survived 4 of them. Not something I'm going to use. But cool effect.

Have Fun
Have Fun!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, »
We have a dedicated 60 amp service on the house, than it branches of to another panel which is feed the 60 amps also by dual 10 gauge wire, than i have plus running both ways off of that so i no longer have any extension cords running across our yard.

If your breaker box is only 60 amps, i would strongly suggest you get that updated lol

Offline rimist

Re: Re: load balancing
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, »
If your breaker box is only 60 amps, i would strongly suggest you get that updated lol

I second that!
My panel was 125 amp and is now a 200 amp

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, »
That has been on the todo list for about 5 years now. All my wiring has been upgraded, I have a new panel and meter base, just utility company will not upgrade. They are privately owned, operated. Most houses around here, 100+ years old, only have 40, I got lucky. My 2nd house has 200 but no lights. Long story.

I can do blinky with small service, any one with full service should have no problem.

Have Fun
Have Fun!