Author Topic: Total Newb (clueless) planning for 2013 where to start??  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Rdavis

Total Newb (clueless) planning for 2013 where to start??

I'm a complete newbie to this and want to learn and build something for my home for 2013, I have a lot to learn and build where do I start???

Thanks for any info!

RD
Grovetown, Ga

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Total Newb (clueless) planning for 2013 where to start??
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm a complete newbie to this and want to learn and build something for my home for 2013, I have a lot to learn and build where do I start???

Thanks for any info!

RD

Try this...

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, »
Hi Rd,

First what is your goal for 2013?

Regular lights controlled by computer?  (basically if you have a static display make the same lights "dance" to music)
Run RGB lights? (RGB = Lights with 3 LEDS in them (Red, Green, Blue) that by changing values you get just about any color you like)

Starting in Jan or Feb we will start having Coops which is a group buy that gets the parts at a discount price saving you money.

You can start now with free software or trial software to see how sequencing goes. You just need a computer and you can add a picture of your house to draw patterns on the picture to see how the lights would look. Software like Vixen, HLS are free. Paid software like LSP

Hope that helps some

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, »

Thanks for any info!

RD

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams - "Don't Panic!"  We have all been where you are.  I highly suggest you be in sponge mode for about a month or two.  Figure out how ambitious you want to be this next year (16 channels?  32 channels?  more?  Do you have particular target models in mind like:  A mega tree, leaping arches, light poles, lighted yard art, windows).  There are a lot of options and it can seem daunting in the beginning.  I certain that you have something in mind and letting this community know what you are trying to do, will get you a few answers (suggestions and opinions LOL).  Plan now for Jan/Feb when there will be some COOPs and you can get started then (but you have to do your homework to be certain you know what you want to get in the COOPs!)

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rdavis

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, »
PJNMCT - Thanks for the link now I have to dicepher  <fp.

rrowan - the RGB lights sounds cool !!! Since this is a completely new build from the ground up I would like to start off with what is cool !!! How ever my $$ goal for 2013 is around $1000 don't even know where that will get me.

kgustafson -  Sponge Mode  8) I like it!!! I think stating off I would like a mega tree or (2), some smaller trees, some arches, possibly lighted yard art (like deer or something or snow flakes hanging in trees) and icecicle lights on home only about (80 - 100ft)

I think I need a mentor  <md..
Grovetown, Ga

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, »

Put your city and state in your signature and look for other people in your area that you can go visit while their lights are still up and operating.  Ask for a tour and explanation of what everything is and how they got started.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, »
I would say that the first thing that you might want to start off with is the sequencing software.  There is planty of it out there and ones like Vixen are free.  Most of them have what is known as a visualizer which allows you to import a picture of your house and then add the lights and items as you desire to the show.  It will also gt you more familure with the hardest part of the hobby, which is sequencing.  While RGB sounds cool and inmany ways is, it is also the most difficult to sequence to and tends to be the most expensive.  There are tools that can make this much easier such as the Nutcracker but as with all powerful software, the more it does the more learming is required to use it.  It is much better to go thru that pain now than when you are limited on the time that you have to get the show running. 

lso working with the visualizer allows you to see where you are going with your show and helps to set a priority on the elements of your show.  If you have a fairly set budget (as most of us do), it makes it much easier to set the order of what you are going to buy/build to get the best bang out of your buck.  The great thing about going this way is that you really don't need anything more than the PC to get started.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, »
PJNMCT - Thanks for the link now I have to dicepher  <fp.

rrowan - the RGB lights sounds cool !!! Since this is a completely new build from the ground up I would like to start off with what is cool !!! How ever my $$ goal for 2013 is around $1000 don't even know where that will get me.

kgustafson -  Sponge Mode  8) I like it!!! I think stating off I would like a mega tree or (2), some smaller trees, some arches, possibly lighted yard art (like deer or something or snow flakes hanging in trees) and icecicle lights on home only about (80 - 100ft)

Mega Tree = 16-32 channels per tree (dependent on single color or multi) assuming you are not going smart strings.
Smaller Tree = 1-4 channels per tree (4 channels if you are doing white, red, green, blue) per tree
arches = 8 channels per arch (assuming 8 segments)
each piece of yard art = 1 channel
Icicle lights = 1 channel per strand of light you want to control (a strand of light may be multiple string tied together)

With this you can begin to see how many controllers you will need.

So lets figure 2 mega trees with 16 strands of light = 32 channels
8 small trees with 4 strands of light each = 32 channels
4 arches with 8 strands of light each = 32 channels
8 pieces of yard art = 8 channels
4 segments of icicle lights = 4 channels

grand total of 100 channels of light elements

You will need either an Etherdongle flashed for DMX or a Lynx DMX Dongle to connect DMX to from your computer.
The Lynx Express has 16 channels to control.  You will need 7 of these for your channel count (7*16 = 112 channels).  You will have 12 channels not used. (If you drop one arch you could do this with 6 Lynx Expresses).

Costs for this:

ETD - about $110
Lynx DMX Dongle  - about $70
Lynx Express $67 + $25 (case) + $30 (cords) (~$125 each)

The total cost would be around $110 (ETD) + $875 ($125 X 7)
this is about $985 total.  This does not include cost of lights, cost of extension cords, etc.

Kurt
------

Offline Rdavis

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, »
I was doing some research on the rgb, I think starting off I'll probally go with leds. Thank you for the comments. Kurt it looks like i'll need to increase my budget  :). Is there a thread that I can read thru that will explain what I need to do from the computer to connecting the lights? So that way I can make since on plan on what and qty of items I will need, Cables, etc. for the items kurt listed, also where do I buy these items kurt listed?

I have a few computers around - what specs would I need?
Grovetown, Ga

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, »
Rdavis,

I use a 'middle of the road' laptop and run over 4000 channels via Vixen and Xlights.  You don't necessarily need anything with mega-horsepower.

Cabling is dependent on your yard configuration.  All the Lynx Express (LE)stuff is either wired RJ-45 (DMX) or wireless RJ-45 (EX/RX).

Communication Connections:
So lets say you have the Etherdongle.  You will need an RJ-45 cable to connect the ETD to the PC/Laptop (uses standard networking protocols over the RJ-45 cable).  You will need another RJ-45 for the DMX out from the ETD to your first LE.  Then daisy-chain RJ-45 between the LEs.

So crude ASCII art:  PC--(rj45)-->ETD--(rj45)-->LE01--(rj45)-->LE02--(rj45)-->LE03--(rj45)-->LE04--(rj45)-->etc.

Alternate is wireless:
which requires at least 1 Transmitter (Lynx Wireless TX/RX)
and one Express wireless receiver (Lynx Wireless EX/RX)

PC--(rj45)-->ETD--(rj45)-->TX/RX--(rf signal)-->each EX/RX--(direct plugin)-->LEs

Power Connections
You would also require power connections to each LE, the ETD (via a wall wart), and the PC (via PC powersupply).  If you were going wireless, you will also need to power the TX/RX unit (via a wall wart).  The EX/RX use the power from each LE (via direct plug-in).

Connections to your strings of light and yard art, etc.:
You can go either with pre-crimped (normal extension cords) cords or you can build them yourself using SP-2 cord with vampire taps.

Last bit of need: 
The Expresses will require lamp cords for power in and for the 16 channels out (18 total) for each one.  Many people use indoor extension cords and lop of the end not needed (male lopped off for the 16 channel out and female lopped off for the 2 power cords in).  This must be part of your budget. 

Also, you will want to purchase CG-1500 cases for the LEs (which will help to protect from weather).  You can find these online via Ebay.

Whew. 

Did that help? 

Kurt
------

Offline Rdavis

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, »
 <pop.. Thank you Kurt!!! Yes that helped alot!! Now I think I will read and sponge for a bit, then come back with more questions I'm sure.
Grovetown, Ga

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, »
<pop.. Thank you Kurt!!! Yes that helped alot!! Now I think I will read and sponge for a bit, then come back with more questions I'm sure.
[/quot

welcome to the addiction!!!

as a first year person myself. i CAN NOT stress enough to start sequencing now. i like kurt use vixen, it's free and it works just fine for what i'm doing. sequencing is where you will spend most of your time and the earlier you start, the better your show will be. here is a link for step by step videos on how to use the vixen software.

go to youtube and watch as many videos as you can stand to watch to see what people are doing and get an idea of what you want to do with your display.

put some money aside for december 26th for the day after christmas sales on lights. most stores are up to 75% off.

just to give you an idea about sequencing, i started with vixen in july and was able to get 6 songs done for this years show. it is nothing to spend 50 hours plus on an up tempo song like wizards in winter. i honestly wish i would have started a lot earlier in the year with sequencing.

i started building my display elements in september, once again, i wish i would have started sooner. being a first timer and building everything from scratch is a learning process and takes some time. i built a mega tree, 8 mini trees, 8 snowflakes, 2 arches with 3 colors each, mounted all my icicle lights on pvc for easy install and removal, pvc frames for all my windows, entry door and garage doors(makes things uniform aesthetically and really easy to put up and take down) it took me 2 months of dedicated at least 2 hours a night minimum(more like 7 or 8) building stuff.

enjoy the addiction, i know i am! there is nothing better than when the show is up  running and you can sit back and say
"i built every inch of this show!" really nice sense of accomplishment and the looks on the faces of the people and kids watching, priceless! you have found the right place, don't be afraid to ask questions and dive right in and get your feet wet.

duane

Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, »
If I were starting over again, I'd start with a 16 channel mega-tree and 16 mini-trees, and if I really felt ambitious I'd add some RGB floods. The rest of my display would be static (icicles, tree wrapping, wreaths, etc.).

That would be 2 Lynx Expreses ($250), Etherdongle ($100), cat5 cable, extension cords (check into spt2 and spt1 cord) and your lights. If you add in the Floods they run around $76 each plus a power supply (for the Aether II).

Why? This gives you something you can easily feature in your yard and does not end up buying a bunch of stuff you might not use again if you decide to go heavy pixels (always room to fit an express or two in the show). It also gives you a nice place to start with sequencing without it being overwhelming (just my perspective).

All that said, this is only my second year.

What I actually did my first year was go with 16 channels (a single Lynx Express) and controlled 15 things in my yard (icicles, railings, a couple of home depot spiral trees, some trees I wrapped with lights and some solid color flood lights (red and green)). I went from there to my second year which is 123 channels and includes a 16 channel mega tree, 16 mini-trees, RGB floods and some RGB Smart SparkleBalls.

I see people pull off huge things in their first year, but I know for me that would have been overwhelming.

Either way, this hobby is a blast, and if you have kids the look on their faces is priceless!

2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, »
If I were starting over again, I'd start with a 16 channel mega-tree and 16 mini-trees, and if I really felt ambitious I'd add some RGB floods. The rest of my display would be static (icicles, tree wrapping, wreaths, etc.).

That would be 2 Lynx Expreses ($250), Etherdongle ($100), cat5 cable, extension cords (check into spt2 and spt1 cord) and your lights. If you add in the Floods they run around $76 each plus a power supply (for the Aether II).

Why? This gives you something you can easily feature in your yard and does not end up buying a bunch of stuff you might not use again if you decide to go heavy pixels (always room to fit an express or two in the show). It also gives you a nice place to start with sequencing without it being overwhelming (just my perspective).

All that said, this is only my second year.

What I actually did my first year was go with 16 channels (a single Lynx Express) and controlled 15 things in my yard (icicles, railings, a couple of home depot spiral trees, some trees I wrapped with lights and some solid color flood lights (red and green)). I went from there to my second year which is 123 channels and includes a 16 channel mega tree, 16 mini-trees, RGB floods and some RGB Smart SparkleBalls.

I see people pull off huge things in their first year, but I know for me that would have been overwhelming.

Either way, this hobby is a blast, and if you have kids the look on their faces is priceless!

Dan,

I think you bring up a good point.  Not overdoing it is probably a good mantra for the first year.  My first year was two LOR units (32 channels) with a 16 channel mega tree, star(1 chan), singing santa (4 chan), and 10 mini trees (10 chan) and eave lighting (1 chan).  My entire show was single color (white).  I have since moved away from LOR (only due to the price, not the quality!  Those units are absolutely fantastic!) and have moved completely into Lynx this year (I sold those two LOR units to a very good home to a friend who is starting his second year show.)

Kurt
------

Offline injury

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, »
I would look at the convienence factor the new stuff is so much better in that regards. As well if we're looking towards future why not just start there.

Etherdongle just plugs into a network connection and sends out 4 Pixelnet universes compared to the USB dongles 1. More flexibility with the ED, the option to later add the conductor to it (run show without a PC hooked up to it), just more bang for the buck as far as I'm concerned and easily resold if you get out of the hobby.

I'd also go the SSC/DSC RGB route unless already invested in a lot of lights and equipment you want to reuse. You just need Etherdongle, Active Hub/Power Supply (for up to 16 strand then can add more hubs), and you build a smart string or dumb string controller. Then based on the cost of controller plus lights you build as big as your budget allows. Easy scalability and modular, one SSC goes out and if you have no backup you can just repurpose another with a quick reflash. These controllers use regular network patch cables so no need for traditional extension cords and patch cables are available in every color of the rainbow. RGB means any color you want from one light/strang and you have the added advantage with SSC to control every individual light in a strand. You'll pay a bit more for lights this way compared to hitting the sales at Wal Mart after Christmas but the flexibility is awesome and you don't need as many lights to recreate the same effect plus less labor as that's less lights you have to string up for more color.