Hardware > Lynx Express

Anyone adding strain relief to your LE Enclosure?

(1/5) > >>

memphislights:
I am used to the LOR equipment and having strain relief.
I was at Lowes and priced out parts.

Aluminum angle stock
8' gets you 12x 8" pieces
2" , 1/16" thick for $18.97
1.5", 1/16" thick for 14.97 or 15.97?

# cords     NM/SE Connector Size     Single Unit Cost     Bulk Cost/Quantity
16 SPT-2   1"                                  $1.44                      N/A
11 SPT-2   3/4"                                  .87                    $.46/50
6   SPT-2   3/8"                                  .38                      .26/100

8 18AWG   1"                                   1.44                      N/A
4 18AWG   3/4"                                  .87                      .46/50
2 18AWG   1/2"                                  .38                      .26/100

2 16AWG   1/2"                                  .38                      .26/100         

So, for SPT-2 output cords, and 2x 16AWG input cords
Aluminum Angle 2"    $1.60
1" NM/SE                    1.44
1/2" NM/SE                   .38
                                --------
Total                           3.42 

So, for 18AWG output cords, and 2x 16AWG input cords
Aluminum Angle 2"    $1.60
1" NM/SE                2x 1.44
1/2" NM/SE                   .38
                                --------
Total                          4.86 

If anyone is interested, I'll try and post some pics after I get one cut and drilled.

RJ:
I have found that while not near as fancy, if you run the cords through the foam and then leaving 1 1/2 inch slack so the cords make a s turn a little to the pcb you can take the bundle of four cords coming out of a hole and tie wrap them using the really big tie wraps against the foam rubber. Now it is not going to keep you form pulling them out if you were wanting to but a little trip on the wires in the yard will not put the strain on the pcb. What you are doing is more secure.  But they are tight enough in there with that to make me comfortable.

RJ

memphislights:
I should have my cases tomorrow, but I'll ask now.

I am paranoid, so I like the extra protection.

If I do not go with the angle bracket, is the case pretty rigid at the bottom?  If it is rigid enough, I would still want to use the NM/SE connector.  I could probably us a piece of straight aluminum to reinforce the bottom though.

Ron:
I didn't use any reinforcement last year and had no issues.

Ron

Greg:
Last year I just used cable ties inside the case.

Between each exit hole there is a plastic finger inside the case. I just pulled a little slack in the wires entering the enclosure and using a pair of 4" ties (interlocking/intertwined them, one around the plastic finger the other around the group of wires entering a given hole) cinched them up to the finger nearest.  On the left most side where I brought in the source power cords I drilled a convenient sized hole in the plastic fin (bigger than the fingers on the other side) to loop the tie through and tied the source cords in a similar fashion with interlocked 4" cable ties.

Clear as mud?  Worked great for me and I plan on doing the same with my new LEs this year.

Greg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version