Author Topic: Rectangle Modules  (Read 4642 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Rectangle Modules
« on: February 12, 2012, »
I have hooked up my rectangular modules and have some issues.
1. I was amazed at how quickly and how warm these things get.  They weren't too hot to touch but the do get warm.  Is that normal?
2. Secondly, the issue I have is that when I use the SS Utility to set the parameters for the controller, I get blinky but the first 7-10 will blink white, the next 5-6 will blink red, the next couple will be barely lit red and the remainder have no light.  Short?  Bad module?  The reason for #1? I bought these modules last summer when the first opportunity to buy them was announced.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline caretaker

Re: Rectangle Modules
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, »
Eric,
    Most likely the module just before one that blinks red (or any color that isn't white like the first ones) is bad. Start by cutting that one out and splicing the rest in. I have the strings and even those get a bit warm but if you have a bad module it will get a little warmer than the rest is they usually draw more power. One more thing did you change the resistors in your SS controllers to the 150 ohm ones? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  If your modules seem to be getting really warm (hot) shut them off as you may be drawing to much current through them due to a shorted module.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have hooked up my rectangular modules and have some issues.
1. I was amazed at how quickly and how warm these things get.  They weren't too hot to touch but the do get warm.  Is that normal?
2. Secondly, the issue I have is that when I use the SS Utility to set the parameters for the controller, I get blinky but the first 7-10 will blink white, the next 5-6 will blink red, the next couple will be barely lit red and the remainder have no light.  Short?  Bad module?  The reason for #1? I bought these modules last summer when the first opportunity to buy them was announced.

Thanks,
Eric
Jeff Squires

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, »
Thanks for the feedback. 
I have put the 150 ohm resistors in my ssc's.
I already thought about removing possible bad modules and will do that.

Just one other observation.  I didn't notice this with my nodes as they aren't as warm as my modules but I noticed that they get warm with out blinky, simply having them plugged into a powered hub makes them warm.  Does this mean they draw power even when not lit?  If so then unlike dumb LED these will consume power 24 hr a day if the power supply is running. If so do folks run around turning off/on their power supplies each day?  I would guess electric bills go up with these lights more than dumb LED's.

Thanks,
Eric

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, »
Simple answer = Yes.

Many folks here leave all there controllers on 24-7 including there show computers. I turn all my controllers off every night after the show is over and then shut off my show computer then due the opposite when I get ready to start my show. There are pro's and con's for each and I am sure RJ could spend an hour talking about it with great technical detail but I gues in the end it is what works for you. The only benefit I could see to keeping controllers on 24-7 would be that they would stay warm and would not be likely to have moisture condense on them as one that was cold might. I have not had any problems like that even up here SE Michigan so that has been my experience. 
Jeff Squires

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, »
Power is always present on the 12v+ regardless of what channels are on/off/dim.
the control signals on pins 1+2 are used by the chip to apply that power to the LEDs.

When the pixels are on/dim they consume power.  when off, the power usage is very low.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, »
my plastic rectangles have never gotten hot
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rimist

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, »
The info about hot, not hot, etc should be add added to the troubleshooting section of the wiki imho

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline rm357

Rectangle Modules
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, »
If it is getting noticeably warm with the nodes off, I'd be a little concerned. The power draw with them off should be very low, and not generate much heat. However, if they have been on for a bit, it may take some time to cool down.

I turn everything off at night, the power up and test about an hour before the show starts each day. I don't like leaving things on and plugged in if not in use...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, »
I am just now getting in some rectangular modules, (100 of them), and started testing.

Here is what i have done.

1.)  Built SSC's
2.)  Loaded Test Firmware
3.)  Took jumper off
4.)  tested 20 nodes
5.)  Experienced white lockup.
6.)  Changed Resistor:)
7.)  Now I see color change, but what happens is that some of the end modules do not change to the same color:(  All nodes change to different colors, all change to white when supposed too.  It is just the colors.  They do not all change to the same color.
Is this a bad node?

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, »
Maybe.  However, I'd try reflashing test firmware if you haven't since you replaced resistor.  Might luck out.  I had a similar issue once. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mmciver

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, »
Thanks,

I will try that and post what has happened!!

Mike
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, »
I know this sounds silly but make sure the free end isn't shorted.  For my nodes the free end had bare wires.  I discovered this issue and my problems went away.  I did loose the very last module in my set of 20.
Eric

Offline mmciver

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, »
Well, I reflashed the ssr and made sure that nothing was shorted and still have some different colored modules.

So, to trouble shoot, do I just go to the end of where the lights all match and cut out the next module and then connect the rest of the modules back together?

Is there anything magic about trouble shooting them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I purchased 100 Modules from Ray in strings of 20 and would love to figure out which ones are bad and work with Ray to get them replaced.

Mike.'
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, »
I find that more times then not the bad one is the last one that has correct color. It is usually displaying correct color but the output from that one is bad causing leds from that point on to display wrong color. A good test is to cut the wire immediately after last one with correct color. Connect a smart string controller to modules after cut.  If they display correct color the bad one is the one before cut. If the remaining ones display bad colors then it most likely is one after the cut.

Offline mmciver

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, »
I am still testing my initial batch of 100 rectangle pixels and was wondering what failure rate people are seeing?

I am over 10 percent.

mike
650000 lights!
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!