Author Topic: Rectangle Modules  (Read 4643 times)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Rectangle Modules
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, »
I found that if you leave them on all white. The failing modules usually act up by them selves after a couple minutes.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Zeph

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, »
With these various (partial) failure modes, anomolously hot modules, etc I would always try a quick check of the current, the voltage at the head of the string, and the voltage at the tail of the string (with white and with all off), before cutting any modules, and report those results too. 

Then you know whether to focus first on power or on data.  Not that there can't be strange cases which are harder to troubleshoot, but it's good to zoom in first on the most likely things.

And of course you have a major advantage with 5 strings of 20 - you can plug and play.

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, »
o.k.  I am starting to think that I am doing something wrong.

I am over 50% failure rate with these module:(

Here is what I am doing.

I am running the Smartstring SSC test code.
I am plugging no more than 20 modules into a controller.

I run the test pattern for a while, and then turn on the white mode.

After 30-60 minutes I start seeing a rainbow of colors!  Usually 1 LED on the module goes to a specific color and locks there.

AM I missing something?  Am I doing something wrong?  Even if I leave these in white mode overnight they should not overheat or fail.  Should the???

I am getting a little frustrated and discouraged.  I have several projects that these LED Pixels will work great for, but if I cannot feel confident they are going to work thru the season, what are my options?

I am sure that Ray at ALiexpress will work with me, but I want to check my sanity first!!!

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, »
i'm about to bring my modules of out storage. (working on some coro stuff)  i'll let you know how mine act. i know i have a couple that are acting up. but most work.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, »
It could be that you have one bad module in the twenty that will not pass data correctly to modules after it. This could make it look like all modules after it are displaying incorrect color but really it may only be the one bad module. The bad module usually is the last module in the line that displays correct color.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, »
I am confident that Ray tests his gear before shipping BUT with his controller.  I wonder if many of the failed nodes/modules I read about on DIYLA would work with his controller?   I have a TH2010x ($20)  and it is a must have for testing.  At 50% failure rate I think something is wrong on your end.

When programming pic for testware do you have program jumper on or off?  I don't think it supposed to matter but I remember having similar issues.  Leave it on as you program but take it it off before you kill power.  This also goes for programming start channel.  Also make sure you're getting correct checksum.  You have 330 ohm resistor in it right?  Lastly, do you have another SSC to try or another pic to swap?  I had a heck of time with testing once and after hours of trying things I swapped a pic, programmed, and it worked flawlessly ever since.  Think it might have to do with the fact I don't have any antistatic protection...

Anyway, really hope you get it fixed since I am about to order a ton of the same modules!  I would be willing to buy a strand off you to test if you want a 2nd opinion.  Just a thought. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, »
The jumper pin can be in either position when you program the PIC. It will not matter as far as programming pic. Although having it on will allow Pic to boot into SmartString program mode immediately after Pic is programmed.

Offline Zeph

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, »
Suggesting again - what current and voltage do you measure going into the string?  What's the voltage at the far end of the string?

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, »
thanks for the feedback.

1.)  I thought that once the pic is programmed that if the jumper is in the off position they SSC cylces the modules thru the colors.  If on, it turns them all on to constant white.
2.)  I have 3 different SSC's running testing and I am experiencing same problem with all 3.
3.)  dpitts, I have not checked current and voltage at both ends, i made an assumption that the PC power supply that I have plugged in was good enough.  I will check, but my ask some help on it to get it right!

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
thanks for the feedback.

1.)  I thought that once the pic is programmed that if the jumper is in the off position they SSC cylces the modules thru the colors.  If on, it turns them all on to constant white.

Mike.

I forgot you were using test firmware.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, »
Looks to me that power supply is a common denominator.  I agree with Zeph, get your meter and rule it out.

Some other thoughts...

Tried another cable to connect to SSC?  Another output from hub?

Tried the other strands right?  Does each strand of 20 modules behave same way when connected to different ssc's?

Reason why I said something about the programming jumper is I am 100% sure if you do not remove the jumper before killing power when programming start channel to ssc it will not program correctly.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rm357

Rectangle Modules
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, »
Look at step 4 in the assembly manual. If you are using the 330 ohm resistor and having issues, you should replace it with a 150 ohm resistor.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA