Author Topic: Thank you, but no longer WTB Lynx DMX dongle at this time / UPDATE  (Read 2136 times)

Offline GrumpkaXmas

• Behind the scenes of Grumpka's Holiday Lights & Sounds.
EDIT:   I apologize for lack of my understanding in my requests:   After reading the wiki for Lynx Dongle, I see that I really want the ability to use a dongle with software other than just Vixen. (freestyler for one)  I also have a dmx casa laser I want the dongle for.  So, I guess I'm not really looking for the Lynx dongle after all.  My bad.  Got mixed answers from a few folks trying to help, and researched myself a bit.  I'm sure the lynx would be great, but I just think I'm looking for the real deal Entttec Pro or at least something as flexible.  By the means of the wiki, " Note: This DMX Dongle was not designed to replace the Enttec Pro with software other than Vixen."  So, on to the next search...

Thanks anyway.....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, by GrumpkaXmas »
Steve from NJ, AKA Grumpka Xmas
I don't get on the forums as much as I'd like but you can find me on Facebook. 
2014-First Year in the hobby.  15+ Lynx Express controllers

Offline Rod R

• Coop Manager
I have an extra dongle V2.0 dongle that I have as a backup.  I'm moving to pixelnet so I'll sell it to you. for 65.00 plus shipping its in the clear case as pictured.  It is verified working.  Let me know if your interested.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline GrumpkaXmas

Very nice build.  I'll PM you soon.

Offline mmais68569

I use the Lynx Dongle with LOR sequencer & run the show using LOR & have no problems running in DMX.

Mike

Offline GrumpkaXmas

I use the Lynx Dongle with LOR sequencer & run the show using LOR & have no problems running in DMX.

Mike

I most likely will be building two Lynx dongles anyway.  Two pcbs will be just sitting there waiting for me to build them.  ;D

Lots of good feedback about them.   In the meanwhile, I did order one of these prebuilt dongles.  Not much to lose though. (well $50.00) I bet it should work just fine to get me motivated though.

Offline kiplorenzo

If you are interested in the true 3pin DMX Controller, DMXKing (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) carries them and they ARE RDM. They are a little pricey (99.00) but well worth it as the DMX processing is done on the Dongle not on the pc where some dongles make the PC handle the traffic. I use them as I use stage equipment also in my display.

Just my 2cents

Offline GrumpkaXmas

If you are interested in the true 3pin DMX Controller, DMXKing (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) carries them and they ARE RDM. They are a little pricey (99.00) but well worth it as the DMX processing is done on the Dongle not on the pc where some dongles make the PC handle the traffic. I use them as I use stage equipment also in my display.

Just my 2cents

I'll take a look.  I just got my two new Lynx Dongle pcb's in.  Looking to see if I can find an alternative to the $25.00 USB/Parallel board from Mouser.   They'd be cheap builds minus the cost of that board.  Betting Ebay has the same thing for half the price.  Anyway...   Thanks for the info.   My new DMX dongle is sitting here waiting for me to pay a attention to it. LOL.   Too many projects today...   

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
  Looking to see if I can find an alternative to the $25.00 USB/Parallel board from Mouser.   They'd be cheap builds minus the cost of that board.  Betting Ebay has the same thing for half the price.

$25?  I think of it this way, if you bag fries at McDonalds for a living, that's about three hours on the clock - before taxes.  If you spend half finding a cheapie replacement, that's about $12.50 or an hour and a half "baggin' fries" pay.   If the cheapie doesn't work and it takes you 90 minutes to hunt down the solution, including asking on the forum and eating up others valuable time, where are the savings?

I stick with RJ's designs start to finish, allows me to enjoy the blinky flashy and not slaving over the bench with a hot soldering iron trying to re-engineer.    'Course, I'm old and running out of time...   :)

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline GrumpkaXmas

Offline tbone321

Just my 2cents

The Lynks DMX dongle is also a smart dongle and does the processing on the dongle, not on the PC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline GrumpkaXmas

Just my 2cents

The Lynks DMX dongle is also a smart dongle and does the processing on the dongle, not on the PC.

Good to know.  I was just looking at the Lynx dongle PCB while doing my mouser order  :)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
... its in the clear case as pictured.

OT: Where'd you get the case, Rod?

\dmc