Author Topic: Vixen Problem  (Read 3990 times)

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
Re: Vixen Problem
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, »
To add on from onesmoothhead:

Make sure to check the log file as well and see if it attempted to run anything.  You may also want to make sure you do not have a communication issue from xlights to your lights by running a test sequence (Highlight one of the sequences in your play list and click play selected sequence) This should drive your lights.  If this does not drive your lights then I would look at your network setup and make sure you have configured it correctly for your setup.

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Raptorman670

Re: Xlights
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, »
It will work that way by playing a test sequence manually but when I set up a schedule there is no output to the lights. I downloaded the newest version and it doesn't say anything about a output to lights box. What version is everyone using? I did see a version 2012c version that looks alot different than the one I'm trying to use.
                     Thanks Dave

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, »
Even if you are not using 2012c there is a box in the top right corner above the schedule button that will need to be checked.  I would assume you are checking this box, becasue your are getting your music to play.  I am really guessing you do not have your dongle selected in your profile in Vixen and it is not outputting the information. xlights will not no if it is selected or not.  This is why it is playing the music, but you do not see the show.

In test mode you are selecting the set up.  It is also possible on the xlights you are using that you do not have the correct dongle selected.  I am just doing this from memory, I will be at my home later tonight and can tell you more.  I am not using xlight2012c, because I am not using my etherdongle on this years show.

Kevin

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, »
I've been using Vixen scheduler for my show going on 2 weeks now tonight show started great no errors but most of the time I get a error after the first sequence have to shut down and restart current timers then it is ok the rest of the night. That is why I'm trying to get Xlights scheduler to work don't like having to be around to make sure my show is going to start and stay running. I work night shift and only have little time to mess around with Xlights to see if it is going to work before my show starts don't want to mess anything up and not have the show to run at all. Thanks for all your help. I have Enttec Usb Pro selected in my profile.
                       Dave

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, »
Update 3rd night in a row that Vixen Scheduler has came on and continuously played my show without any errors woohoo I hope it continues, next year thinking about using Lor program with its scheduler. Any one have feedback on using this program? I see it has a Beat wizard to make a beat track automatically. I don't know if it is worth the money to buy the program unless it works like they claim. Is any one using this program.
                                 Dave

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, »
I have been using Vixen 2.1 for 5 years now. The first two years I fought with the scheduler and had to babysit it. Then the next 2 years I use xLights to run the show. This year the Conductor is running the show but I still use Vixen to sequence. Its easy to use and both Vixen and xLights are free.

just my 2 cents

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, »
Thanks for the Reply I'm using Vixen 2.1.1.0 afraid to try any other version right now while my show is running ok. What version of xLights are you using have trouble getting it to work.I am trying to use xlights 2012b I only have weekends to fiddle around with it.

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks for the Reply I'm using Vixen 2.1.1.0 afraid to try any other version right now while my show is running ok. What version of xLights are you using have trouble getting it to work.I am trying to use xlights 2012b I only have weekends to fiddle around with it.

I reco going to xLights 2012c.  Here are some of the 'gotchas' for setup:

First, make sure to set up the network correctly.  Either DMX Dongle (Enttec DMX Pro I think) or Etherdongle (which is a little involved with E.1.31 setups)

Second, make sure to copy all media files to the xLights subdirectory (this means all mpgs, etc.)

Third, make sure to setup scheduler and that the scheduler check box is selected on (to turn on the scheduler)

Fourth (perhaps this should be third, dunno) test out all your stuff and make sure that xLights is not choking on something (typically the issues come from it not finding a media file because you forgot to copy it to xLights subdirectory in the 2nd step).

Kurt
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, »
Thanks going to try xlights again this Sat. Vixen is driving me nuts. Last night show started ran half a night and got a error again grrr had to restart Vixen and restart timers and ran most of the night till the very end and got the error again. What version of xlights is everyone using?
        Dave

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, »
I will say one thing...I have used Vixen for 4 years now for my scheduler.  The first 3 years, I would get some COM errors every once in a while (using my Lynx dongle).  It usually didn't affect the show, but they would pop up.  This year, i am using the etherdongle.  Not one single error and the show has gone off every night without a hitch.  I also usually flatten my profiles into my sequences.  I did not even do that this year.  I selected my sequences and my profile (the same one for all of them) for my program and off she goes.  Definitely the best year for scheduler so far and i assume most of that is due to the etherdongle.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline bassmants

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, »
Sorry to hijack.  Does Vixen have to be running to start, or can I just let it be and it'll come up on it's own?

sjb

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, »
You have to have Vixen running for the scheduler program to activate at the time requested.

Steve

Offline Raptorman670

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, »
Update!!  I finally figured out I was doing wrong with xLights. I was putting my Mp3's files in my playlist also so when I schedule my show it would play my Mp3's first which is why I had no lights working. I thought something was wrong cause my lights weren't working but I never left it to continue to play all my files or I would have seen they would work when it got to the xseq files. I thought you had to bring over the Mp3's and the Sequences duh. Now I feel stupid but posted it case someone was doing the same thing. I guess you have to live and learn. Thanks to every one that tried to help me. This is a great forum with very helpful people. Now I can build my other three Le's for next year.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, »
 :D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Vixen Problem
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, »
Good to hear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD