Author Topic: Pc / router Parental control assistance  (Read 4034 times)

Offline rimist

Pc / router Parental control assistance
« on: February 07, 2012, »
I've observed while reading the posts that several of you are or were in the computer field, as I was.
My focus was databases, although I dabbled in a lot.

I find the parental controls on Windows Vista to be lacking. A small thing is I'd like to control the access time by the half hour, not the hour. If this is a big deal, I'll let it slide.

I also need to be able to schedule when an application (java) can be run, or even better, when particular packages can be run, and a log of what is run.

I have the family timer set on the Xbox 360, but that doesn't set a schedule. I'm running ddwrt on the router, is there a way to schedule and log access? I've attempted to schedule it, but it seems the Xbox still connects. I'd also like to schedule and log his iPad internet access.

Unfortunately, I have no budget, so I can't purchase software to assist. I'm hoping there is open source software to help. He does not have administrator access to his computer.

Typically, my son is a great kid. He's been on the dean's list for the past year and a half, but is slipping, which seems to be because he is so absorbed in the games. I don't want to take them away, just ensure there is more to life than games.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Re: Pc / router Parental control assistance
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have the family timer set on the Xbox 360, but that doesn't set a schedule. I'm running ddwrt on the router, is there a way to schedule and log access? I've attempted to schedule it, but it seems the Xbox still connects. I'd also like to schedule and log his iPad internet access.

The timer on the xbox is kind of annoying since it does not allow scheduling and only counts down time remaining. One thing I noticed is that if the internal battery is bad and the xbox is turned off the clock resets and his timer starts back at the full time using the stored settings. Point being, I need to replace the battery on my son's xbox and wanted to let you know that that happens also.

You would think MS would have included better parental controls with the xbox, at least something similar to what is available with Windows.

I guess I didn't really address your concerns and needs though. Just my two cents.

Rich

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, »
I am pretty sure that the UI is what is limiting your selection to 1 hour increments.
If you've worked with the registry before you should be able to alter the set times to whatever value you choose, to the minute.

Look for Scheduled Tasks in the control panel to run command-line operations at preset times and intervals.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, »
Rimist,

For scheduling and logging:
It would be best to setup a static DHCP address for the devices you wish to limit so it will not effect any other devices.
Check out this link for restricting time the internet is allowed.

Also if you want to filter content my favorite is to use OpenDNS for your DNS server. Many schools and such use it to filter all the internet via the DNS lookup. I actually run OpenDNS without any blocks because it helps to protect you from virus and spoofed sites. Its free.
By the way OpenDNS can log too. I have it logging any attempts at banned content.

I am no expert but have setup this before for my son and family friends and it was easy.

The detailed log is a little involved but can be done here:

The control of when you could run specific applications is outside my scope of knowledge.

** Edit**
This might be helpful:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, by bcstuff »
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, »
If you want to do it network base - look at PFsense.  You can do limits down to the
Minutes, ports, sites ... Anything you want.  Big fan of Open DNS also but much better way in pfsense but a good start.

Harrison

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, »
Harrison,

Does pfsense run on a PC, inline with your internet connection?

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, »
you can run a script on the computer that sets a null gateway for the nic. then run another when you want to set the correct gateway. without a gate, you'll not getting online.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rimist

Re: Re: Pc / router Parental control assistance
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, »
I am pretty sure that the UI is what is limiting your selection to 1 hour increments.
If you've worked with the registry before you should be able to alter the set times to whatever value you choose, to the minute.

Look for Scheduled Tasks in the control panel to run command-line operations at preset times and intervals.
I've done extensive registry editing. That's as easy of a fix as I could have asked for, thanks Steve

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline rimist

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, »
Rich - thanks for the warning about the battery

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, »
Harrison,

Does pfsense run on a PC, inline with your internet connection?

Yes it gives you a pro router setup.  Can run on a OLD basic system just need 2 nics or how ever many networks you want.  But the options are NUTS it is a pro level piece of software - I have run in from almost the beging - about 7 years.

Harrison

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Offline rimist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, »
Bcstuff-opendns would need to be on a separate computer, correct?
I wonder if the forthcoming raspberrypi would be capable. I may be able to salvage a computer out of two old ones I have, but using ten year old hardware tends to cause more headaches than its worth, especially when you're looking for reliability.
I believe pfsense is also server based.
Thanks for the ddwrt links. I'll be sure to use the info

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, »
I like OpenDNS too, but it is has its limitations.  It resolves a name into an IP address, but once an application is up and running it usually does not need to look up the address again.  It may continue to use the opened connection, or it may use the cached value in the operating system.

But, OpenDNS and the other great ideas together will help fill holes -- and together they can be a good solution.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rimist

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, »
you can run a script on the computer that sets a null gateway for the nic. then run another when you want to set the correct gateway. without a gate, you'll not getting online.
I'm not sure how to do this on a schedule with a Windows machine

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline rimist

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, »
Steve - does this mean that opendns wouldn't cut off an existing connection at a predefined time?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, »
I'm not sure how to do this on a schedule with a Windows machine

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
Using scheduled tasks you can run a BAT file.  In the BAT file you can add a call to "ROUTE DELETE ..."  to remove this connection to the outside world.  and you can run "ROUTE ADD ..." to reestablish this.

The question is whether you still want to allow access to the internet for homework.  My son uses this as his excuse. :)

What I have done...

At scheduled times I will copy an altered c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  that has his game sites replaced with non-working address.  At another time I restore the original file.

What does the file look like?

Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
127.0.0.1       badgamesite1.games.com
127.0.0.1       gamesite2.yahoo.com
127.0.0.1       jokes3.msn.com