Author Topic: Pc / router Parental control assistance  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Pc / router Parental control assistance
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Steve - does this mean that opendns wouldn't cut off an existing connection at a predefined time?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
opendns does not cut off any connections.  it is a replacement for the DNS service that your ISP provides. 

It can say "i don't know" when asked for your son's game site.  If your son's game has IP addresses already, then opendns will not help.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rimist

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, »
I would assume that replacing the hosts file won't terminate an active connection either. So that is where the route command comes into play?

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, »
The ROUTE command can be scheduled with "Scheduled Tasks".  If you use ROUTE to DELETE, then the PC's connection to the network -- and EVERYTHING it talks to is disabled.  Use ROUTE with the ADD option to restore.

The hosts file is like the opendns solution.  It does not shutdown access, but it tells any future programs that it can't find the destination.  I have not used it to schedule access to sites, so I'd use the hosts file to solve that problem.

A value that opendns offers -- you can tell it to takes its like of inappropriate sites, and not give out IP addresses to any of them.  The kids computer can be configured this way and your computer can be configured with the old DNS server.  But access to the network is still in place with opendns or with the hosts file.

I've not tried it, but you should be able to use the ROUTE command to disable access to some sites.  Find out the address of one site "nudesonice.com" might be 66.77.88.99.  And then do a ROUTE ADD to redirect all network requests for 66.77.88.* to 127.0.0.1.  When you want to restore access, you can ROUTE DELETE this entry.  This will allow you to selectively cut off access to parts of the internet.

Other things I use:

Microsoft Live Family Parental Control has a program that runs on the computer, and it allows restriction by application, web sites, instant messaging, email, allowed address for those programs, etc.  It can be scheduled to lock out accounts on the system. 

Norton 360 has a similar program.  I use both Norton and MS Live Family as double protection.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, »
Add a little to what Steve said:

You gain complexity with multiple devices without affecting the rest of your network.
You have multiple issues you want to control.

The easiest way to control specific devices access to the internet is thru the router (DDWRT) with Static DHCP address set for his devices. Then specify the time they can access the internet, see the previous links I posted.

Logging and content filtering can be complicated considering you are taking about a computer, Xbox, and iPad. It is easiest if you restrict everything, but that would effect you too.
OpenDNS would allow (while on your network) to filter just his devices content if you setup restrictions on a free OpenDNS account and specified his devices to use OpenDNS server for DNS name resolution. If you have a static IP address its easiest, with a dynamic IP address you would need to make sure OpenDNS has your address.

Here is a link to help see what OpenDNS can do what exactly it is:

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, »
I will also add a little to Brian and Steve – (also finally on my laptop not my phone)

You are talking about 3 VERY difference devices … a Windows PC, an Xbox (own System), and an IOS iPad.  You are also wanting to filter, restrict (by time), log / monitor and do it all on a $0 budget.  These all sound easy but all can be tricky – I have helped out multiple family friends with the exact issue and done multiple different deployments. 

I also have the same requirements in my own home – I admit I take it on in my home as “Privacy” as a 4-letter world.  But a few things to keep in mind is always the bypass and is the work worth the effort … is there an open wifi in range?  Will the kid next door share his wifi password to bypass?  Widnows … Well OphCrack.  Smart Phone with data …. (I restrict my iPhone with Profiles so it must go through my network inside and outside my network - VPN)

First like to say don’t take this personally – but I would talk to him before you go through this exercise and see if you can fix through so low tech parenting.  I will admit I am the type to use a shotgun to kill a fly – the fly is vaporized. :) DDWRT (I use it as my AP) is a good start you can block sites by hostname (NOT IP {Routing can fix this} – EASY bypass) – also a fairly low number of schedules for time restriction and restrictions you can apply.  It doesn’t do a lot of logging but will give you some idea.  OpenDNS is an AWSOME service even if you don’t use it for filtering.  It can do the filtering for you – Adult, Social, etc …. Easly and efficiently but again EASY to bypass – I would add a block of ALL DNS (Port 53) outbound to prevent someone from doing that  (Google public DNS 8.8.8.8 4.4.4.4) – OpenDNS does do some basic logging but no where to the point I would like.   

I always start with what I have and free – see if it is going to work for you if not step it up.

Harrison

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, »
If you go to the opendns.com website you will also see an option for what they call Familyshield.  It is basically a preconfigured OpenDNS server you would setup as your DNS that uses their database to block access to sites they deem as not family friendly.  That is by far the easiest way I know to kill access to a lot of the bad stuff on the internet. 

If you go to a site deems as not family friendly you get a message in your browser that access to the site was blocked.  OpenDNS also updates this regularly.

That is not an answer to what you want to do with scheduling but it does help and is very easy.  It's also really easy to kill what's cached on a windows PC.  You can dump the cache in browers usually from the options tool section and typing ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt on a windows PC will flush the dns and make it reload.

What Harrison suggested with pfsense requires a PC with two NICs.  That might not work on raspberry pi, I think it only has one built in NIC, and it is only 100mbit which would still be fine if you had two ports.

Ron

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, »
took a screen shot of my router.  you can turn on/off the internet for a particular pc at certain times, or you can block addresses (like facebook during when they should be doing homework) on or off...   or even block by keywords.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
Pc / router Parental control assistance
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, »
You can also do some pretty nice access restricting with dd wrt. See this page:

I haven't use dd wrt in a while, but I thought this was available. If you want to block access to say the Xbox you can just block the Xbox MAC address at certain time periods.

Ron

Offline rimist

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, »
Lol, I'm still on my phone :(
I've spoken with him several times, however he gets so absorbed in the games that he doesn't pay attention to the time.
He knows if he hacks his system, I'll replace the os with Linux, which will run some but not ask of his games. I'm not sure if iTunes is available on Linux or not.
He also knows that if he pushes to far, I'll simply change the WiFi password and put a jammer above his ceiling. (I have an old cordless that obliterates Wireless networks)

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, »
here ya go, show any child this, and they wont act up on the computer again!   lol

To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, »
Ha ha that is funny

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, »
here ya go, show any child this, and they wont act up on the computer again!   lol

>:D

Offline tbone321

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, »
At least now we can see where his daughgter gets it from.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, »
That was funny

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, »
drama kings and queens and princesses. keep the guns and ammo locked away.