Author Topic: Ever wondered who "Ray Wu" is?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline dmoore

Ever wondered who "Ray Wu" is?
« on: February 26, 2012, »
I've been purchasing from Ray Wu since early 2010 and we've done a fair amount of business together but I'd never met him until this trip to China for the LED convention.  Ray Wu is located in Shenzhen and this general area (Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Guangzhou) are the source of the majority of the worlds electronics (Foxconn's largest factory is here.)  Ray is located in the Bao'an district which is just a short subway ride to Hong Kong (sort of).  Ray's "office" is located in an industrial park with a variety of factories, the first floor was busy producing plastic razors.  Ray himself lives just outside the industrial park within walking distance of his office.

Ray is a really nice guy, fairly shy and he speaks generally fairly good English though he understands it better than he speaks it.  He is from another province (as most people in Shenzhen are) and 5 years ago he moved to Shenzhen and sold computer parts before getting a store on aliexpress.  Until April 2011 it was just himself but then he added employees and he now has a total of 5, most of which handle ordering, procurement, etc.  One guy fixes items and ships products.

I think what would surprise most people is how hard Ray works.  Ray works 7 days a week, usually from 7am until 12am and from what I can gather, they are hard hours - no fancy chairs, no A/C or heat (Shenzhen's climate is like that of Singapore or Miami.)  It gives you a real appreciation for a nice office with a fast computer, free coffee and an 8 hour day.

Attached are some photos of Ray's "show room" and his staff (he is the tall skinny guy in the center of the photo, I'm in the blue shirt, the shipping guy is on my right). 

Offline dmoore

Some other "factory" photos
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, »
Here are a few other photos from a factory of a "large" DMX controller mfg.  The first photo shows the entire R&D department - two guys where writing firmware, two were doing board layout, two were doing SMD re-work.  No water cooler talk here - these guys were nose-to-the-grind-stone. 

The second shows a typical factory.  Zero automation - just lots of people, each doing one step of the assembly process.  Extremely low tech.  They did have some rocking dance music going though!

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: Ever wondered who "Ray Wu" is?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks David for helping us put a face to a name and sheeding some light on how things are made.
I find it fascinating that they make hi tech stuff with low tech methods.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, »
David,

Thanks again for sharing these pictures, it does help to place a face with someone your ordering from.  Give them a few years and with how China's economy is growing there soon have all the niceties we have here over there.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dmoore

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks David for helping us put a face to a name and sheeding some light on how things are made.
I find it fascinating that they make hi tech stuff with low tech methods.
John

Anyone who says "I can't solder this Lynx controller - it's too complicated" should talk with a old lady that 6 months before was farming in an field and now can handle a soldering iron like ku-fu panda!

Offline dmoore

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks again for sharing these pictures, it does help to place a face with someone your ordering from.  Give them a few years and with how China's economy is growing there soon have all the niceties we have here over there.

A few years?  No need to wait, once you move from the suburbs where the factories are and into the city, you'd find that their larger cities are better in many ways than most large US cities.  Their cities are cleaner, transportation (public and individual) systems are better (and newer), buildings more modern, airports are nicer, parks/public spaces are nicer,  etc.  If you were compare New York to any large city, New York looks positively ancient.  If China stays on its current path, they are 15 years or less from getting to American standards (water, safety, social, heath, etc.)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, »
I will see this all myself in April, will be in Hong Kong, Sinapore and Beijing.

Will be visiting some factories and site seeing.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, »
Looks like Ray works in a Pepto Bismol office.   I hope we are not the ones making him need that!!  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks David for sharing your encounter with Ray.

It certainly does help to know Ray a little bit better!!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rwave

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, »
David,

THANKS very much for sharing.  As one who will be purchasing SS later this year for the first time, this was timely and fascinating information.

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, »
Photos, descriptions really much appreciated, David.

Thanks.

\dmc

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, »
Good stuff Dave, Thank you.

Offline rimist

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks Dave! I'm glad you took the time to meet Ray and share that meeting.

-Rimist (via Tapatalk)
- Rimist

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Ever wondered who "Ray Wu" is?
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks David, this was fun to see!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tpctech

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, »
Thanks for the factory tour I just last week sent Ray a bunch of $$ for some parts for blinky and work!  I have always had very good communication with Ray.

ken