Author Topic: snubber resistors? Only used with LED strings?  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Pyrotech

I'm just ordering up my bits for a 240v express v5 , my question is I have the option to install or leave off 16 100 ohm 1/2k resistors  . As am not using it for LED strings I'm assuming its okay to leave them off, or do they serve another purpose from that described "Their job is to help with LED light users prevent the random flicker some Led light strings can have when using them with light dimmers."

Is there any safety pros and cons, or drawbacks....Or do I add them for possible future use?   

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: snubber resistors? Only used with LED strings?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, »
What 100 ohm resistors?

Sent from my Charge by Tapatalk

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Pyrotech

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, »
oops missed off the "k" 100k ohm 1/2 watt.  Apologies.

These from v5 manual :

" At the bottom of the pcb for 16 additional resistors.
        If using 120 volts, Install 16 47k ohm 1/2 watt resistor in these locations at this time as snubber resistors. Their job is to help with LED light users prevent the random flicker some Led light strings can have when using them with light dimmers.

If you are using 240 volts, you must either not install these or install different resistors. To install them with 240 volt they Must be 100k ohm 1/2 watt and must be rated for at least 350 volts. these must lay flat and not touch anything else as they carry high voltage. "

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, »
I always take the position that what I am doing today is not necessarily what I will be doing tomorrow, so I would install the resistors even if they do not impact you today.  They also enhance the resale value should something better come up in the future and you want to sell these and trade up to a different controller.  Or heaven forbid you have a reason that you must sell them off,
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, »
Yeah I agree. I only posted that to make sure you checked as you REALLY don't want 100 ohm resistors there. Well, unless you really like letting smoke out of stuff!   <md..

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Pyrotech

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, »
Thanks, I'll put in the alternatives.