Author Topic: Scammed on Alibaba  (Read 1373 times)

Offline urthegman

Scammed on Alibaba
« on: October 09, 2012, »
Hello All, Although extremely upset, I just wanted to share my horrible experience on Alibaba so that maybe it helps prevent someone from going through the same thing. I posted that I was in need of LED ropelight and received a flood of emails from different companies who offered their product and found 5 or 6 who seemed to have reasonable prices and could deliver goods in a reasonable amount of time. I had ordered from China before and was reasonably comfortable doing so. I had 4 of them send samples and tested them on controllers and gave them all a 25 day test  on the roof to see which held up to UV rays the best. One of the samples were head and shoulders above the rest so I ran his prices by Ray Wu and a supplier I had dealt with previously to see if they could at least come close to the price being offered. When they couldn't I placed the order for 1600 meters of cool white (200 meters for a nearby christmas decorating friend) and 200 meters of blue. When he asked for payment I mentioned escrow (which I had used in the past) and he replied that they are a small company and I checked their website and they seemed legit, so I made the mistake of wire tranferring the money to their "company" bank account. to me it was another sign that made them a legitimate company in my eyes. After I placed the order communication lagged but I did sporadically hear from "Rex" . I explained that I needed them delivered by the first week of August because rope light is more pliable and easy to work with when it is warm out. He had no problem with that, but of course I didn't get it. I called him on the phone and although there was a slight language barrier, he assured me that he would send them out shortly. 2 weeks went by and I didn't here from him so I went to the chinese restaurant near me and they spoke to him and acted as an interpreter for me and explained I needed the rope light ASAP to make my "product". He assured them and me he would have them to me no later than September 20th. Of course I did not get them. I emailed him and cc'd the "company's" sales department. The "sales" department emailed me back that he no longer worked for them and that they forwarded my payment to the new company he worked for. I told them how illegal and unethical that was and that they are on the hook to deliver my goods. Yes I realize it was him responding and there is no real "company". I told him in yet another email that what he was doing was wrong and not only did he cost me the money which I guess I am going to have to get over, but the time he cost me killed me even more!!! I said if your not going to deliver the lights just email me back NO LIGHTS, but of course he didn't even have the decency to do that!!!  I am so upset. I am retired and living off my savings and I was going to use the rope light to make and sell 6' rope light snowflakes to help pay for this hobby of ours. Well, let my misfortune be an educational opportunity for you and do not do business with a company called Eland Industry LLC and if you do business with China or on Alibaba, insist on using escrow where you release payment once you get the goods. And maybe buy a small amount first to check on the quality of the goods. Thanks and if I don't get the chance in the next couple of weeks, Have a very Merry Christmas!!!! George

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Scammed on Alibaba
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, »
I highly don't recommend people to venture into the alibaba side of the website (instead of staying on aliexpress side) unless you're a business that could take a hit in case the shipment didn't go through.

Ray seems to be trustworthy, but I would be very suspicious of any other Seller, and not trust with a large order.

From alibaba's website.

Which payment method is the safest?

Online trade is not without risks and no payment method is 100% safe. If you are doing business with a supplier for the first time, please make sure you have done sufficient background checks on the supplier before making payment. We recommend you take your time to conduct thorough due diligence. If you have any doubts about the legitimacy of a supplier, then it is always safer to consider your other options, including finding another supplier.

Please note that both Western Union and bank transfer are high-risk payment methods and should only be used for very small orders/sample orders. Low-risk payment methods include Paypal, L/C (letter of credit), and Escrow. Find other payment methods at the following link:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To reduce your risk when trading online:
1) Always verify a company’s contact details and address
2) Always verify a company’s legal registration number
3) Ask suppliers to provide you with customer references (preferably from your own country) who have purchased from them within the last 12 months

Learn more about Safe Trading at the following link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline injury

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, »
Yes I realize it was him responding and there is no real "company".

Always escrow unless there's an established relationship and you know them.

I don't even see the company you mentioned on alibaba. Several with words Eland in it but none as you named it nor that make lights. Which leads me to what I suspect may have happened. Never just click on a link from email it's very easy to disguise URL's.

Offline barbotte

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, »
i alway used escrow ..so that way if you are not happy with it they supposed to refund you ...

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, »
Why not try to conatact Alibaba directly and tell them your story.  I seem to recall a while back where they went thru and tried to clean up some of the dis-honest dealers!

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, »
So, how much cheaper than Ray Wu's price were those lights? Knowing the problems RJ had last year, and how Ray Wu fixed most if not all problems, I don't think I would trust anyone else to spend thousand's of dollars with. But, that's just me.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, »
Like many say, you get what you pay for and if it looks too good to be tue......  I know that it sucks when this happens but if the price is so much lower that Ray's that he can't match it, there is a reason for that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, »
Sorry to read that.  Right now Ray has me a little worried too.  My order is about 6 weeks old (August).  His communications with me could be better but he has responded recently to chat and told me some of the order was not in stock and the holiday didn't help.  We'll see. 

George, hope you get this resolved. 

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Scammed on Alibaba
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, »
Ray will take care of you , he's probably behind a bit.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]