Author Topic: Programs to shut off during running of show/scheduler?  (Read 721 times)

Offline urthegman

Hello all, Are there any recommendations of what programs/ windows features should be shut off/disabled while running the scheduler/show?

Offline deplanche

Re: Programs to shut off during running of show/scheduler?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, »
Use the conductor, and you can use whatever you want to! :)

If you are running from a PC, and you don't need to use that for anything else, that is the best.  If you have anything running it can impact the show.  Since the audio is coming from the PC, any warnings or "you have mail" sounds are being broadcast along with the show music.  So besides your show program, I wouldn't have anything open.

I also recommend disconnecting from the internet in order to prevent any downloads or updates.  I also make sure that I don't have any virus or scanning programs running during the show times.  Anything that would take away from the show running is better.

Finally, if you are running it off a laptop, I would say make sure it is plugged in.  My laptop will slow things down to conserve battery power if it comes unplugged, and the show will becomes unsycned when that happens.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Programs to shut off during running of show/scheduler?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, »
If you are connected to the internet be sure to turn off automatic updates for windows.  I also went into the bios and changed my settings so that if the power to the computer comes on after a power interuption, not a normal shutdown, the computer automatically reboots and I have set windows so that it automatically logs into my account and I have vixen automatically load in the startup group.  That way if the power goes off and I am not home, or even if I am, the computer will restart, log me on and start up vixen which will load the scheduler.  If you are not using vixen then put whatever runs your show into the startup group so that it would startup when the computer boots up.  I also have put a battery backup unit on the show computer so that little short power glitches do not cause it to shutdown.  I have been doing this for several years and it works great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA