Hardware > Bobcat DMX Tester

New Feature Request

<< < (2/5) > >>

dlhoppe:
[Most of the DMX lynx stuff uses the first two DMX channels with the other channels set to zero. 1 thru 255 are done on channel one with channel 2 = 0. Channels 256 thru 510 are done by setting channel #2 = start channel - 255. With channel 1 set to 255.[/quote]

I'm sorry, that kind of went over my head. I'm sure it's my lack of understanding. Can you break this down into simpler terms as to how the "lynx address utility" works from a DMX output stanpoint? I looked around for a document in the wiki, but couldn't find one.

If it's purely a matter of DMX data output, I could probably throw some code together and give it a try. The challenge would be to find a way to "indicate" that it's in "program" mode. It would have been nice to wire in the other two decimal points on the LED display, but we didn't. We'd probably have to use a flash pattern on the third decimal point for this.

n1ist:
There's a program jumper on the target device.  If the device is powered up with the jumper in place, it will take the first two channel's data as the starting address.  So what's needed is a mode where we can set either the value of the first two channels separately, or where we enter a start address from 1 to 511 and it fills the first two channel's values with address%256 and address/256.  As for the decimal points, they are muxed like the other segments, so we can independantly drive them.

/mike

tbone321:
Like he said, channels one and two are used with the rest set to zero.  For anything below 255, you set the dimming level of channel 1 to the start address value and set channel two to zero.  For anything above 255, you would set channel 1 to max (255) and set channel 2 to a value that when added to 255 will give the desired start address.   For example, if you needed the start address to be 17, you would set channel one to a dimming value of 17 and channel two would be 0.  If you needed the start address to be 275, then you would set channel one to 255 (max) and channel two to 20 since  255 + 20 = 275.  As for telling what mode you are in, perhaps you could just make the display blink when in programming mode.  As for setting the controller into programming mode, remember, that is done with the jumpers on the device, not the programmer andthat some of the newer devices do program a different way.

JonB256:
I was under the impression that the second channel was a "High Order Byte" value.

Set channel 2 (and all others) to "0"  and the channel 1 value from 1 to 255

To set a value of 256 or higher, set channel 2 to "1" but still use channel 1 to control the final value
(Channel 1 value plus 255)

This is going to force me to get some hardware out of storage, isn't it?
Either way could work. It's just a matter of the PIC programming.

tbone321:
While you could do i that way, why go thru the added logic.  The simplest way is simply to read and add the values of the fist two channels. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version