Hardware > Bobcat DMX Tester

Possible Firmware Update

(1/4) > >>

tbone321:
Is there any possibility in the future of changing the firmware to have the device start on channel 1 when it powers up instead of 225.  Most of the time when I use it, I am testing a newly built device and they are almost always on starting channel 1 at that point.  It really gets to be a pain in the butt to have to spin it back down to 1 from 225 every time I want to use it.  This is not critical by any means but it would be a help in the future.

bisquit476:
Hi tbone,

Here is how I addressed this during the beta, I felt the same way as you on the start channel,

1) As the tester starts up on channel 256, the 1/2 way point by design, I recommend for a first time startup to set your controller to start address 256 so you know immediately after you turn it on in wired mode if the tester is working.

tbone321:
That kinda kills the purpose of the tester in my opinion.  In order for me to change the start address, I would need to connect the device to a dongle and start up some software to set the start channel.  If I already have the device connected to a dongle and software running that is putting out DMX, what would be the purpose of then connecting it to another one such as the tester since the Dongle would already be giving out the signal requred for testing.  The point of using the tester for me is to aviod setting up hardware and software for start channel changes until I have confirmed that the device(s) is/are working to begin with and since most if not all of the current DMX firmware is set with a default start address of one, wouldn't it also make sense to start the tester there as well? 

egenoup:
Maybe if it started on the channel it was on the last time it was turned off....

my 2c

rm357:
The point of the tester is to have something that you can use outside setting up the display and troubleshooting problems. Times when something handheld is a lot more convenient than juggling a laptop and dongle...

There was talk of adding an addressing mode that would support addresses above 255, but the developer of the tester has had to step back for a while... You can use the tester as-is for setting addresses 1-255 by setting channel 1 to a value = the start channel you want, then follow the normal procedure at the DMX device.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version