Author Topic: RockinChristmas 2013 - First video  (Read 1690 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
RockinChristmas 2013 - First video
« on: January 04, 2014, »
Well, I've heard a few complaints about this song over the years ... Mainly because it's slow ... But it's got nice Christmas Day lyrics and good vocals ... but every year I've added more and more to try and make this sequence more interesting.   I think this year I finally got there by using xlights nutcracker to put images on the new half megatree and the rgb rooflines added some wow to this song.   The effects on the roofs are far more stunning in person .   Video taken and edited on an iPhone 5s.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline UncleBuck

Re: RockinChristmas 2013 - First video
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, »
Wow  <res.

Offline tomwb301

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, »
Very well done!
Tom
Humble, Texas

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, »
Yep, I think you have it nailed now..

off to check those mega tree specs on the mega tree thread, that's what I want for my little 9' bush out front!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, »
Awesome!

I think it was one of the best jobs I have seen on a slower song.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline meman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, »
Wow is right. That megatree is totally awesome.
And I gotta try shooting video with some sun light still up, that came out great !

Thanks for sharing,
Mike E.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, »
I have to say your display is what I would consider Top Tier!

You've really outdone yourself and I'm afraid to ask how much you've got invested.

Congratulations to you.

PS - I have to ask, knowing traffic patterns is this in the morning or just before sunset. I would bet morning just because I think you'd have a better time then filming. Nice job on that as well. 

<res.

Leon
Leon

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, »
Very nice! I like it.

Too bad nutcracker can't keep the background moving as the picture spins around the mega tree instead of just a picture moving "on and off screen" then starting over again.
Leesburg, FL

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, »
WOW the BAR is really high now.

Great job, I hope next year mine is just 1/10 as good.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, »
Thanks for the kind words.   Unfortunately one strip went out on the megatree in the last week.      I probably just need to replace a bad node ... The only ss node failure this year.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, »
That was an awesome job!  I enjoyed that very much.  Thanks for sharing your hard work.

What kind of camera do you use for filming?  How do you get the audio to sound so nice?  Camera have an "audio in" jack?

- Guess I should have read the entire post before I wrote mine!  Don't feel smart at the moment. -
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, by IndianaChristmas »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, »
good work Scott
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, »
Taybrynn, I watched the time lapse video on the set up of the tree but do you have any video or pics of the base and how the tree mounts to the base. That looks like a very simple way to mount the strings and get the tree upright.  <;d

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, »
Yes, I'll post some pictures of how that works.

The half megatree actually does not mount to the base per se ... there is a groove in the base "D" ring that accepts the bottom "D" ring rebar (flat side of D) which is mounted onto the pole.  We lift up the pole and set this lowest and larger D ring into that groove on the base D ring ... and this allows it to pivot upwards without moving.  After that the top just basically rests on top of the leveled base and you can optionally attach from wires between two bottom D rings, but I didn't even do that because the 1/8" aircraft cable guy wires off the top made it so rock solid, it didn't seem necessary.  In fact climbing up the back of the half tree with a ladder was extremely stable as well. 

My Dad created several "D" rings which mount onto the pole kind of using a muffler clamp type design ... except he made the clamps himself and inserted a key on the pole so I could just put the clamps into the key (to align) and then just tighten with a wrench.  So I attached these 4 D rings onto the pole, attach the top onto the pole I believe there may also be some vertical rebar that all attached to the D rings to provide additional stability and rigidity.  It took about 1.5 hours to assemble the base and pole the first time.  In these pictures I have my old megatree pole and its ratchet crank but none of that was used on this tree, so just ignore it.  We also have ropes out just in case it got really tipsy but it never did, so again just ignore them.  I was really suprised how stable this tip up tree design ended up being ... I was expecting it to be a lot worse but it was rock solid.  Even in winds, it didn't need guy wires to be stable.  Once we added the guy wires (taken from my old holdman style megatree using a fencerail post) ... then the tree was super solid.  With light added, my neighbor and I were able to tilt it up by ourselves and without anybody else helping.

I don't know that this design is very re-usable to average person unless you are a welder like my father is.  But I'm sure a similar design could be done in a more simple manner and materials.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, by taybrynn »

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, »
Thanks for the pic's.  <res.