Author Topic: My First Year Video  (Read 1189 times)

Offline kiplorenzo

My First Year Video
« on: January 12, 2014, »
Hey Gang, Here is the first year videos. This was done using LOR and DMX. Please give me your Honest opinions (even the negative ones)

thanks

Kip

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline meman

Re: My First Year Video
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, »
Hey Kip, you certainly have a lot of action in your sequences. Can you tell us more about the technical aspects of your show. Looks like you have a lot of good elements to work with there. You mention LOR; is that being used 100% for sequencing software and hardware control. The walls of the house seem to be covered in some kind of light that is constantly changing; are those lots of Color Ribbons or just light strings and floods used to give that effect. Looks pretty cool.

The only suggestion I have is based on my own experience and assessment of my original sequences. As a musician, I heard every individual instrument in the songs and tried to get different elements in my show to "play" every note I was hearing. This resulted in so much rapid blinking that the show was actually uncomfortable to watch. That's when I discovered that fades aren't just for the beginning and ending of the song. Taking lights from 0%-100%-0% intensity rapidly should be reserved for key accents in the song or it loses it's affect. In order to avoid making viewers uncomfortable, fades have to be applied to every transition of light; especially chases like those of your trees and bushes. Otherwise, the human eye gets overloaded.

It took a lot of time, but I went back in and made sure there was fading overlap on all of my chases. It made a dramatic difference in the "feel" of the show.
100% ----fade ---->0%
                100% ----fade ---->0%
                                100% ----fade ----> 0%

Good luck and keep the videos coming.
Mike E. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, »
First, Nice first show! Are you using the Sparkle Magic Illuminator Lights on your house?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
+1 to what meman said, cutting all the light to off then back on rapidly makes it hard for people eyes to adjust to the lights. Look forward to what you do next year.
Jeff Squires

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, »
Thank you for the input. To be honest here, I sequenced what did the fox say, christmas Sarajevo, and Silver Bells. Sandstorm came presequenced.

The Stars on the side of the house are the following fixture:
I did have to go to the container store and purchase containers, boards to mount inside and cut holes to make the fixture waterproof for the elements. they have been really a nice addition for minimum expense. I am looking into some of the other stage equipment also and will be building a lot this year.  Has anyone ever done a G scaled train running through the yard with Battery operated LED lights on it? Thoughts here... and I have a lot of ground available. I did find a battery operated Polar Express trainset (135.00)

This year I do hope to do 2 megatrees and also do something with the tall side of my house..

Kip

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, »
Nice job Kip

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, »
Thank you for the input. To be honest here, I sequenced what did the fox say, christmas Sarajevo, and Silver Bells. Sandstorm came presequenced.

I did have to go to the container store and purchase containers, boards to mount inside and cut holes to make the fixture waterproof for the elements. they have been really a nice addition for minimum expense. I am looking into some of the other stage equipment also and will be building a lot this year.  Has anyone ever done a G scaled train running through the yard with Battery operated LED lights on it? Thoughts here... and I have a lot of ground available. I did find a battery operated Polar Express trainset (135.00)

This year I do hope to do 2 megatrees and also do something with the tall side of my house..

Kip
Good job on the sequences!

Jnealand is a train guy.  I haven't seen a real train incorporated into a display.  There's a ton of potential there.  My biggest fear would be that of theft.  I'm sure now that my dad (PK) has seen the idea of trains and light displays, he's going to want something too!

I wonder if you could take some 12V power from the train's transformer to run the lights...  modify an engine to have 12V out to the onboard lights...  Just a thought.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, »
Thank you Pk and MMS, I'll look into the train options, we get snow here, so any electric track could be a challenge... Unless I can find some inexpensive Clear PVC pipe... LOL
I did read the review on the 135.00 Polar Express model. It only has 2 cars and they do not sell other cars for it. :(  but if I go down a scale which is electric track, then they have cars, but they Ain't cheap! :)

Kip

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, »

How many did you use on your house?

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, »
I used 3 of these along the front of the house, these were all the same DMX channel (1-6) to control colors. This year, I will be bringing in 2 more for the deck, 1 for the tall side of the house and 3 for the back... with DMX RGB floods also. :)

I can post a pic of the completed Outdoor fixture that has been constructed if anyone is curious.

Kip

Offline mms

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, »
I used 3 of these along the front of the house, these were all the same DMX channel (1-6) to control colors. This year, I will be bringing in 2 more for the deck, 1 for the tall side of the house and 3 for the back... with DMX RGB floods also. :)

I can post a pic of the completed Outdoor fixture that has been constructed if anyone is curious.

Kip
I think that would be great!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, »
Here is the completed Waterproof Fixture. :) The Cables fit snug inside when disconnected. This does use a standard 3 pin DMX. :)

Kip

Offline mms

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, »
Very nice!

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Offline poolprousa

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, »
I hope my first show looks as good as this...nice job.

Will a Lynx Express control those Amazon lights?

Offline kiplorenzo

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, »

I used a Entec Pro (DMXKING.com) connector and ran full DMX cables . :)

Kip