Author Topic: The KISS Principle and my personal KISS LIST  (Read 1378 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
The KISS Principle and my personal KISS LIST
« on: January 17, 2014, »
I think the KISS principle and standardization of RGB pixels, IMHO, should be receiving a lot more attention than just lowest price per pixel does.  Many are understandably looking for the cheapest solutions but when you look back in 5 or 6 years ... do you want a show with 12 types of RGB pixels, all of which have their own characteristics (good, bad, color, injection, chipset, voltage, performance, reliability, etc.) or something where its fairly consistent, simple and interchangeable?   This same principle can be applied to your show hardware.  RJ and DLA has a wide array of hardware thats designed to be flexible in how its used.  Some may view DLA as "less technical" or perhaps "limiting" ... but trust me, its there to protect you from yourself and as you grow your show, you will likely be glad you followed the guidance that DLA provides and protections and simplicity that RJ designs into his hardware.

To me, the DLA wiki provides a great array of choices that the average person would be wise to stick with.  I know its not for everyone -- but its really good for a lot (very approachable) -- and they keep it less technical on purpose, to make it approachable to a wider audience than many DIY boards might.  Those other boards are great also.  In fact, DLA probably provides more hardware choices than you'll ever need, because even I have not used all the boards offered here -- but that said, I think staying with the newest boards is probably a good idea for most.   Part of my own personal KISS principle is to not have every board offered even on DLA, let alone all the boards offered elsewhere.

For someone just getting started, I would give the following BIASED advise just based on what has worked well for me.  There are other options (honorable mention to falconchristmas) but being a huge fan of this site in particular, the average not too terrible technical person who can built a few things ... but doesn't want to get into overly complicated technical or DIY issues -- this list is intended for you.  This list isn't necessarily for the bleeding edge folks who can handle that stuff ... but it might be a good starting point for a lot of you, I hope.

Perhaps this list can help someone new get an idea of which COOP items they might want to purchase in 2014.  That is my goal.  I'm not trying to tell anyone that I'm right or your wrong -- I'm just trying to give an opinion and share my experience which is that KISS is a good thing and you can apply that to your show.  If you do, I think you'll waste less money and be happier in the end.

MY TOTALLY BIASED - KISS LIST.

LIGHTS
- for RGB lights: use the wiki approved RGB smart string lights ... listed under Wiki -> Smart Strings/Pixelnet ... then SS Lights Info Chart and Ordering Links.  Plan on shipping taking (up to) a month.  Always have Ray give you a price quote ahead of time instead of using the website -- to save of shipping costs.
- for traditional lights - again using mini lights, C9(s) or a good brand of LED(s) is the way to go, but try to keep
  them as consistent as possible.  this can be hard with how the lights are changing so much each year and perhaps
  a reason to go with RGB lights instead (just more colors for the money)
- I'm not a big advocate of "dumb" RGB lights, but they can save you a little money up front and simplify programming
  some, but I think the ROI on regular "smart" RGB lights is better in the long run (YES, I AM BIASED!)

CONVENTIONAL LIGHTS (AC) CONTROLLER
- Lynx Express 16 (aka LE) - DMX AC controller of choice, also available from minleon pre-assembled;
                             I would use this over older boards as its a really a sweet spot for cost per channel and just a reliable
                             work horse for traditional AC channels (controlling strings of incand. or (non rgb) LED lights).

SHOW COMPUTER INTERFACE (DONGLE)
- Lynx Etherdongle - E1.31 PC interface to run your show, 16k channels of pixelnet per unit, connect to PC via. ethernet
                      fast, reliable and not complicated.  Because via. smart string active hub(s) you can convert pixelnet into
                      DMX ... this can easily control your LE controllers (wired or wireless with a DMX TX)

SHOW SOFTWWARE (SEQUENCING)
- xlights (w/nutcracker) -- its free and very powerful.  You can also optionally combine it with a sequencer
                                                of your choice: for example, I use LOR and xlights together. 
                                                xlights plays with almost everything.  If your getting started, xlights only is likely fine.

RGB CONTROLLER HARDWARE
- Smart String 16 port Active Hub - provides up to 16 power injected outputs (16 SSCs) and a single PC power supply
                                                   runs it and does the injection.  No complicated injection if used with wiki Smart String
                                                   RGB nodes from Ray; Provide a DMX universe output (pixelnet -> DMX512) and
                                                   also has a built in pixelnet splitter (1 pixenet in, 2 pixelnet out)
- Smart String Controller V4 (aka. SSC) - for distributed RGB display elements, use with a Smart String Hub
                                                                       these are great for rooflines, windows, and RGB display items which
                                                                       may be located all over the place.  Generally 100' range from hub to
                                                                       SSC and then 10' from SSC to RGB lights.   
- Smart String Zeus 16 Controller - great for connecting concentrated RGB display elements, such as Matrix and PIXEL trees
                                               generally within 10' of the controller, so RGB strings connect direct to Zeus ... like having
                                               16 SSC(s) onboard, easily replaceable fuses

WIRELESS OPTIONS
- Lynx Wireless Tx/Ex - you need one to transmit your DMX512 universe to the rest of your show ... more if you want
                                   multiple universes or range boosting.  Once has worked for me across two homes without issues.
- Lynx Wireless Ex/Rx - you need one per LE controller, if you want those controllers to be wireless controlled.
                                   note: you can make the first LE wireless, then connect to nearby LE controllers wired, to save$

FLOODLIGHTS
- Lynx Aether
OR
- traditional floodlights on an AC channel also work fine (most simple, cheapest), 1 color per channel
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: The KISS Principle and my personal KISS LIST
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, »
Scott, great post, you are mirroring my thoughts exactly.  I read all the posts of folks searching for newer or cheaper technology and the new tech item of the day only to watch them mostly fail or to spend way more time trying to get things to work than they do in making their show programming really great.  I also concur with the lack of enthusiasm for dumb strings.  I have a bunch here and I will probably be putting it up for sale, not they they don't work, but that they do not have flexibility that smart strings provide for not much more cost.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, »
Excellent write up, Scott!!!   This should be a "sticky!!"

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline bassmants

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, »
Totally agree... 8)

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, »
An excellent post.  I am grappling with this very subject this week in regard to my massive tree I want to light up.  Minleon, who licensed the Lynx design from Rj, makes some very well constructed pixels at a substantial premium to our DIYLA pixels and are not compatible.

I'm really struggling with adding another set of controllers, cabling, rgb strips that are unique.  The family RJ has created in both hardware and community is unique and extremely compelling. I have had an awful time getting information on the Minleon products, and that weighs on me.

Now if Ray had not had such an issue with Technicolor, or I wanted to reprocess the pixels it would make the decision easier.

Great write up!

Alan

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, »
Thanks.  To be fair, the SS nodes from the first year, which I bought in the first couple months -- were not good either.  I must have done 20+ splices on each 128 node string ... just getting ride of the bad nodes.  The good thing about the current nodes is they have been getting better each year and this year I had maybe 1 failure in 4000+ SS nodes ... not bad.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, »
Amen.  My one wish is that the node/ strip/ pixel supplier was US based. Dealing with a person half a world away is trying at times.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, »
Not to take this off topic, but dealing with any pixel supplier has been trying, US based or not.  Taken several emails, a couple left messages to get information.  This is not a large business stateside for any one quite yet, too segmented of a market I would guess.

I've bought from a couple US suppliers, pm me if you would like some contacts.

Alan