Author Topic: Pickit3 software  (Read 968 times)

Offline eyearedan

Pickit3 software
« on: January 22, 2014, »
On the instructions when building the Smart String Controllers it says to use only the Pickit 2 or 3 utility and not the MPLAB to program the firmware, BUT in the "PIC Programming with the PICkit 3; Getting started with the PICkit 3 programmer - a step-by-step PIC programming guide " of the FAQS  it only has instructions for the MPLAB. 

Is there a place that shows how to use the Pickit 3 utility? 

I was able to get my USB Dongle programmed and WoooHooo made lights Blink on Lynx Express. Dang ! That was magical !!!  Now I am moving on to the Smart String Controllers and the HUB. 

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Pickit3 software
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, »
The Wiki has links to the software.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, »
If you have the correct software, you will just need to power up the SSC and select the correct PIC and firmware. Did you program the PIC on your Express?

Offline eyearedan

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, »
I downloaded the PICkit 3 Programmer software and pull it up, but just no experience of ever programming a chip.  I can select File and get the correct HEX file and see the Checksum matches what is on Wiki but am blind to what else to do.  I am looking for the "PICkit 3 Programmer software for Dummies" tutorial.

as for the express, I built 4 and 2 work and 2 do not and I never did program the chip on them.  ????  I guess I was half lucky with them. 

But any help in Opening my eyes on how the Pickit 3 works would be helpful.  I may be thinking it is harder than it is, but usually when you learn how to work something , it always looks easy from the other side of the experience fence.

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, »
I am doing this by memory.
1.  connect PICit to ICSP header on board SSC or Express. I power my SSCv3 during the process.
2. open PICit Software and in a drop down menu (Name? not sure) you select the type of pic on your device. Look in the wiki or read your pic for verification.
3. Then you can blank check the pic if needed or just do a check and it will tell the the Checksum on the PIC. I always erase after this to make sure it is clean.
4. When ready to write, select the Firmware for your PIC and click the Write Button.
5. that should be it in a simplified form

I hope this helps

Offline eyearedan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, »
Good Memory,   Thanks, I was expecting it to be difficult multi phased process and not a quick and easy deal. ;D  I appreciate it and thank you again for the help. 

Offline onesmoothhead

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, »

I hope it worked for you. Anytime I can help I they.  I am sure this is why our group here is my favorite. We all act kind and pay it forward.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD