Author Topic: Hrm...how does it all work?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline pokey

Hrm...how does it all work?
« on: January 11, 2011, »
<start disclaimer>
I only started using Vixen about 9 working hours and about 23 beer ago...
</end disclaimer>

Ok...so let's assume I understand the notion of Smart Strings.  What I don't get is how you'd represent them in Vixen (or some other sequencer).  Does each node get represented by 3 different instances - one of Red, one of Green, and one of Blue, all which can be displayed at some different intensity/dim level to get us the gazillion color options?

<start plea of ignorance>
Help me be smarter on this!
<end plea>

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Hrm...how does it all work?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, »
short answer is yes.

ch1 = node 1 red
ch2 = node 1 grn
ch3 = node 1 blu

...and if it is anything like the Aether,
ch4 = node 1 override (wht).
EDIT: now that I think about it, it was more about a "string" override not just the node. Sorry, not sure about this last bit. I will need to go back and look at it again - it's been a while.

channel order has been disguised to protect the innocent!   ;D

-Paul
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, »
It is not like the Ather and there is no white channel.  Vixen currently doesn't support RGB devices directly but you can represent them as you suggested where every pixel makes up three consecutive channels provided the controller is configured in pixel mode.  The controller has 3 configuration options.  In pixel mode as described above each pixel uses three channels.  Then you have string mode where the entire string is defined by 3 channels.  The third mode is called hybrid mode and in that mode the entire string is contolled by 3 channels like string mode AND all of the pixels are also defined as individual 3 channel devices that you have to keep track of.  Doesn't this sound like fun.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, »
...thanks for the correction.

Like I said...been a while.   <pop..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, »
Hi Pokey,

Lets start off with something easier for me to understand and write about.

Put one SSC  (Smart String Controller) next to a window with 60 nodes (lights) around the window, We programmed the SSC (called it SSC-1) to be in string mode. This one string of lights allows me to have the lights around the window to be any color I want.

SSC Modes:
String - All lights work like a normal string of lights but can be any color but all of them are the same color
Node - Each light on the string can be any color you want and can be different - each node takes 3 channels (example of 60 nodes would be 3*60 = 180 channels)
Hybrid - Combo of the first two - you have 3 channels plus each node has 3 channels. (example of 60 nodes would be 3+ (3*60) = 183 channels)

Back to the example:
So in Vixen you will need 3 channels to control SSC-1
Channel 1 = SSC-1-Red
Channel 2 = SSC-1-Green
Channel 3 = SSC-1-Blue

So now that is setup we want the window frame to be red
So Channel 1 value is 255. Channel 2 and 3 are 0

Now we want the window frame to be Green
So Channel 2 value is 255. Channel 1 and 3 are 0

Now we want the window frame to be Blue
So Channel 3 value is 255. Channel 1 and 2 are 0

Now we want the window frame to be White
So Channels 1,2,3 value is 255.

Now you are thinking yeah so whats the big deal then about RGB LEDs and SS?
Well, we don't have to stick with just those colors. If we look up any color you want we then find the numbers that are needed.
Say you want SeaGreen or Pink or Purple, Gold. It can all be done with the correct values. Now it becomes more interesting.

A quick google search came up with this color chart. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There are many out there.

So whats next?
Well expand my above example. Put one SSC and a set of nodes around each window, door, etc on your house, or bush, tree, whatever. Give each SSC a number (SSC-1, SSC-2, etc) and put them in string mode along with setting the channels you want for each SSC. Since this example we are setting the SSC to be in string mode each item is only 3 channels.
Example:
SSC-1 = Channels 1-3
SSC-2 = Channel 4-6
SSC 3 = Channels 100 - 102 (doesn't have to be in order :) you have 4096 channels to play with)
etc

Later we can look at the other modes. While this gives you greater control it comes with the cost of programming many many channels per SSC

Hope that clears some of the fog.

have fun and good luck

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline pokey

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, »

So when you say "set the value" are you talking (in Vixen speak) the "intensity", or is there some other value that Vixen will need to support?

Wow...Smart Strings will take a heck of a lot of work to configure, but the result sure seems like it'll be worth the effort...hopefully some coding gods will make it a bit easier to manage.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, »

So when you say "set the value" are you talking (in Vixen speak) the "intensity", or is there some other value that Vixen will need to support?

Wow...Smart Strings will take a heck of a lot of work to configure, but the result sure seems like it'll be worth the effort...hopefully some coding gods will make it a bit easier to manage.

Yes set the intensity value for each color. Make sure you are in value mode and not precent mode in Vixen. There is a #/% button the toggles that setting on the toolbar

I totally agree, I hope the programming wizards come up with a much easier way for us.

Like my window frame example. I will most likely set the SSC to hybrid mode. 95% of the time I will only use the 3 channels but for occasional special effects I could set each node in a chase pattern around the window or alternate the lights red and green, etc. This is assuming I will be using Vixen to sequence with.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, »

You might want to take a peek at LSP , for an easier way to configure and sequence RGB devices. As always this is just an old man's opinion. :)
Thanks
Mike

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, »
I think LSP might be the ONLY way to "quickly" and cost reasonably sequence these lights.  Check out the tutorial video on RGB and layers.  Download the demo and repeat what he did.  Took me a bit to get used to LSP...probably take me a long time get proficient with it.  But with 6000 channels.... o_0  I don't think I have much of a choice.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline pokey

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, »

Well I spent some time screwing around with the Light Show Pro eval.  It sure does handle RGB strings (and lots of other RGB) nicely.  Real slick how it handles RGB transitions.

With my limited experience with Vixen, LSP seems a bit "bloated" (no offense if any LSP developers are reading!) -- Vixen just seems easier to use.  However, if LSP is the best way to handle Smart Strings, then I'll need to invest $$$ and more importantly - time, and get smart on LSP...

Fortunately, I don't need to decide now...so fingers crossed for Vixen 3.0.