Author Topic: Is this what I need for the Hub power supply?  (Read 6868 times)

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Is this what I need for the Hub power supply?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, »
I expected maybe 5% - 10% of the hubs to be ordered with the optional parts so the large amount of optional kits has had me wondering. This is why I posted that you did not need it unless you were using a 12 volt only non computer power supply.

RJ

Like a battery on a vehicle... <wd..

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, »
They are almost 14 volts not 12

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Corey872

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, »
I am planning to run a computer PS, but at only $4 for the kit, I ordered mine as 'cheap insurance' in case I decide (or have an emergency) and need to run 12 only.

Also curious - could a person put identical PS's in parallel to boost the current?  I noticed there was a warning about PS's with multiple 12V rails.  But I vaguely remembered a project years ago where a guy tied a dozen of the things together and made an arc welder?

Offline wftxlites

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, »
You would have to Diode back every power source on each supply.  This could get hairy with PC power supplies. If I wanted to do this I would recommend building a special board with the diodes for each supply and appropreate connections and jumpers over to the Smart String  board. Better just use 12V power supplies designed for this purpose. Unfortunately, The are going to cost mega $$$$ I doubt you want to spend the money. I wouldn't.

I think you are better off to just have the backup ready.

Greg

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, »

I agree I found a nice p/s setup to do this so you can stack them to get what ever you want and they will load balance. But they were only 50 amps each and price  ... and let say it this way .. I could have a lot of ATX computer power supplys putting 100 's of amps for what it cost. Still thought about it though.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Corey872

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, »
Good info - thanks guys.  admittedly, I haven't messed around with computer power supplies that much.  They are either setting on a shelf or in a computer and I use a bench power supply for all my testing work.  My only thought was if a guy had several supplies just laying around, maybe parallel them to a common rail and even if one died, the others would carry on until the dead unit could be replaced.  But sounds like keeping them all happy paralleled would be more hassle than it's worth. 

I was also a bit surprised - even scouting out the usual surplus dealers and discount stores for other power supplies, watt-for-watt, an ATX PS seems to be the cheapest by far.