Author Topic: Quick Question about the smart strings  (Read 1595 times)

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
Quick Question about the smart strings
« on: January 17, 2011, »
RJ,
     Do you think it would be possible to get a supply of the 3 wire ribbon cable that connects the smart strings?  I was think of taking short sections of pvc and mounting about 1 foot tall and mounting a pixel at the top with a molded epoxy shaped like a candle like flame.  Around that would be hot glue done to look like melted wax.  At the bottom of the piece of PVC would be a steel rod epoxied to pvc that would be use to mount it.  I figure the spacing between pixels would be about 2.5 feet (1 foot down + 6inch across + 1 foot up).  A neighbor of mine did something like this year ago with c9 bulbs when i was a kid and i always thought it looked neat.  With all of the extensions i don't want to have to keep bundling individual wires together.  I would like to use the same ribbon that the string are made of. 
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Quick Question about the smart strings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
Yes,

It is avaliable on rolls and I have it on the list.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, »
Hi tconley

Depending on how many Candles you want to do how about putting a SSC inside each pvc candle with just 1 node attached to it.

By the way cool idea. I remember as a kid my dad would have two large candles on each side of the front door. They had a wood base with a steel weight inside and a cardboard tube for the body with a candle shape light at top.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, »
Yes,

It is avaliable on rolls and I have it on the list.

RJ

Nice cause I have a project on the burner that would also require the distance between nodes to be increased.

-JS

Offline tconley

• Conley Family Christmas
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, »
The candles will only be a foot tall.  I want to ring my whole yard with them spaced every 6 inches.  I remember those big candles as well but i like this idea a bit better.  1 inch pvc sanded and varnished with stay clean and white then the candle flame can change color.  It should be a very cool effect when it run the perimeter of the yard.
Pinky, are you pondering what I am pondering?

I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Offline Corey872

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, »
Nice to see someone else thinking along the same lines.  I had considered taking one string and bundling 4-5 nodes, 2-3 feet of wire, 4-5 nodes, 2-3 feet of wire,..... etc   and use for Halloween to light pumpkins.  Had also considered a similar set-up to put flicker lights in luminaries.

One other option I thought of - go ahead and use the node(s) for flickering, then just program the nodes in between  to do whatever else is wanted.  I think this would work fine for luminaries, but would still be a problem in your PVC 'candle'.