Author Topic: Question about using SmartStrings as LEDTriks  (Read 2448 times)

Offline LondoB5

Question about using SmartStrings as LEDTriks
« on: January 17, 2011, »
OK...

So I saw the video of the channel-backed smart strings. RJ said that this would make a great LEDTriks II if you used 16 or 30 of them.
I only joined recently, so I missed the 1st generation LEDTriks.

My understanding is that you can use the LED Triks almost like an old-school character generator or a micro-mini jumbotron so you can have messages or simple animations and such.

My questions are:
1. Are my above assumptions correct?
2. Is there an easy way to program the animations, i.e. is there a program to take MPEG/FLV/AVI/PowerPoint/After Effects/etc. and convert to Vixen/LOR/etc code?
3. Is channel-backed the way to go, or will it work better to use the standard SS and drill holes in plywood at even spaces?

Sorry to sound like such a noob....
Thanks in advance!

Offline batdive

Re: Question about using SmartStrings as LEDTriks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

My understanding is that you can use the LED Triks almost like an old-school character generator or a micro-mini jumbotron so you can have messages or simple animations and such.

Yep

My questions are:
1. Are my above assumptions correct?
2. Is there an easy way to program the animations, i.e. is there a program to take MPEG/FLV/AVI/PowerPoint/After Effects/etc. and convert to Vixen/LOR/etc code?
3. Is channel-backed the way to go, or will it work better to use the standard SS and drill holes in plywood at even spaces?

Sorry to sound like such a noob....
Thanks in advance!

Well I have been looking into doing an LEDTriks and then RJ was nice enough to bring SS's to the community.  I think the rigid strips that he talked about will be great for an LEDtriks.

The choice of how many is up to you and how tall you want it to be.  I think I am initially looking at the 16 set up (so the grid will be 16 pixels high by 30 wide) and add to it the year after.

How to program well depends on the software you have.  Currently Vixen only has grid at a time (which for the above example means you have to work in 1440 channels). KC the author of Vixen mentioned a rewrite for this year, but will have to see.

As for what you ask about turning movies and such over to the grid, the only one that "currently" has this set up is LightShowPro.

Reference the videos here is a video on LSP's way of doing it, I hope Vixen and others make it this easy.  http://www.vimeo.com/11414852

Downside to LSP is the learning curve is high especially if you worked on Vixen/LOR prior.

Hope that answers your questions.

-JS  

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, by batdive »

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, »
All I can say is WOW!

Light show pro is awesome! That is exactly the effect I was looking for, without all the mess of having to do each individual pixel. The real question is, will it work with smartstrings and not just CCRs or Fireflys?

I guess it might pay to wait and see if Vixen has the same features in the next release.

Offline batdive

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, »
All I can say is WOW!

Light show pro is awesome! That is exactly the effect I was looking for, without all the mess of having to do each individual pixel. The real question is, will it work with smartstrings and not just CCRs or Fireflys?

I guess it might pay to wait and see if Vixen has the same features in the next release.

Yes, RJ already made sure of it.  LSP 1.8 has Pixelnet already added in to it.  There is a learning curve with LSP, so hope you have time to sit down and stay there for awhile.   ;D.

You can get a free trial to see what I am talking about over at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  

I personnally am hoping KC knocks one out of the park and gets Vixen 3.0 done.  Not sure I have the patience to learn LSP entirely.

Also dont leave out the other projects on this sight.. namely Prancer and Xlights (see the software section).

Hope that helps..

-JS

Edit: Forgot to mention Vixen will have a Pixelnet addon if you choose to go that route.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, by batdive »

Offline LondoB5

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, »
Dude, you really made my day! Thanks for all the great info!
This year's season is gonna be awesome!

Offline batdive

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, »
Your welcome and forgot about this software that is suppose to let you do the same and output a vixen file.  I have not used it so not sure if/how it works, but in case the Vixen crowd wants some help.

-JS