Author Topic: Specs on strips & 5050s?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline moronoron

Specs on strips & 5050s?
« on: January 17, 2011, »
Can I get the following information, as it has a direct correlation with how many SSCs, SS hubs, and SS nodes I can get (the price of these determines what's left over for extra nodes):

How much current does each of these draw:
5050 Square (single or 120)?
5050 Rectangle (single or 80)?
1 Flex Strip?
1 Rigid Strips?

Approximately how much will each of these setups cost (just a rough figure will do):
120 5050 Squares (or for 1 square)?
80 5050 Rectangles (or for 1 rectangle)?
1 Flex Strip? (video said about $90)
1 Rigid Strip?

Thanks!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Specs on strips & 5050s?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, »
I can help with some of the info

The max # of nodes each SSC can handle is in the wiki page, see the chart
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Some of the prices RJ has stated but that can change

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline moronoron

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, »
That didn't answer any question I had. And I obviously already saw the page you linked to since I used those numbers in my post. Thanks for attempting to help though.

However, let me postulate this:

SS String of 128 nodes: 45.57W
So this would suggest 120 5050 squares, 80 5050 rectangles, 4 30-node rigid strips, 12 10-node rigid strips, & 1 flex strip would consume approximately 45.57W each.

This suggests:
1 5050 square: .380W
1 5050 rectangle: .570W
1 rigid strip node: .380W

No idea how many lights are on the flex strip. It's 5 times the length of the 30-node rigid strip, so maybe it has 150 nodes?  That would make it .304W per node.

Bottom line is if the limits for these per SSC are for power reasons, then they should draw almost the same power as an SS, so I'll use the above numbers to figure my power requirements until RJ chimes in :)

Still need pricing estimates though (from RJ only please). Currently a full SS is $80 & a flex strip is about $90, so I'm using $100 for the number of each unit that are allowed on one SSC (eg: $100 for 4 30-node rigid strips, or $25 each).

I don't want anyone thinking these numbers are correct. These are only my best guesses I've come up with so I can try to plan my purchases/finances correctly. My numbers may be dead on or way off, so please ignore them as much as possible ;)

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, »
30 node rigid strips were per RJ "I think they were quoted at like $11 a piece"

- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, »
My apologies for trying to help with the current info I have available to me.

The pixel nodes take less current than the 5050 so your numbers are off

In the coops Bill posted the max nodes per controller and I just put that info into the wiki

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline moronoron

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, »
30 node rigid strips were per RJ "I think they were quoted at like $11 a piece"

Cool!  That helps A LOT.  Any other confirmed guesstimate prices from RJ on the others?

My apologies for trying to help with the current info I have available to me.

The pixel nodes take less current than the 5050 so your numbers are off

In the coops Bill posted the max nodes per controller and I just put that info into the wiki

Rick R.

I don't mind people trying to help.  It just seemed like you were trying to point out new info to me when I already had some of that info in my original post, so I really didn't get why you thought it would help me so much ???  It is nice to have that info in the wiki though, so great job :)

At any rate, do you know what the current draw on the 5050 nodes are?  I can't look at the video at the moment, but I thought each square & rectangle had 3 LEDs on them, so wouldn't each one use the same # of 5050s and same current draw?  If so, why is the max per SSC different?

I don't mean to be mean or rude, but the SS nodes take .356W and my numbers are greater than that for the 5050 items...how are my numbers off???  Please back up your post with math & numbers like I did so I can see where you think I went wrong.  I make mistakes just like everyone else, so it's okay.

And as I said before, my numbers are based solely on the max current per SSC (as in your table), so unless I did some bad math, my numbers should be somewhat close.  And as I said before, since I'm purely estimating at the total current draw allowed it is entirely possible my numbers are totally wrong, but if you know they are, you must know some specs that you haven't shared.  Please share these specs with us if you do have them...it'd be greatly appreciated by all :)

Again, not meaning to offend, just trying to get some real answers or at least some reasonable guesses to help with the budgeting process.

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, »
Posts in this thread have gone way off the mark and are coming off as rude and mean.  Everyone needs to calm down.
RJ will relay the information we need when he has all the data and is ready to release it.

Bill

Offline csf

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, »
Does any one know if the 50/50 are sealed like the strip or will they need coverings?

I really hope the rigid strips are around 11$ like RJ said in the video, but I am sure we will know pricing and power consumption soon enough, every one take a deep breath ;)

Offline remixsam

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, »
what does it mean by 50/50?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, »

Like all surface mounted devices 5050 is the size of the node 50mm x 50mm

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, »

Like all surface mounted devices 5050 is the size of the node 50mm x 50mm

Cheers

Rick R.

I know its hard for Americans to understand the metric system  ;D , just kidding Rick, but in keeping things correct it is 5.0mm x 5.0mm.

A 50mmx50mm LED is massive which is nearly 2 inches x 2 inches

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, »
yup I messed up

I knew it was 5mm x 5mm

oh well, I guess I gave you a good laugh

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline remixsam

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, »
Thanks Guys!  I vote to change to metric!  ... I thought we were supposed to 30 years ago...lol