Author Topic: Smart Strings and Controllers  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Ralph A

Smart Strings and Controllers
« on: January 22, 2011, »
I have been reading about SS, for about two weeks and want to place my first order.  However I am not sure what all I need.  I want to make two mini mega trees @ six feet tall.  I will start with one string at the bottom go up and over the top and back down the other side with one string.  Thus one string will be 12 feet long, that equals 41 nodes.  I will place five strings on each tree.  Do I need one controller per string or one controller per 128 nodes?  Thanks for the advise!!

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Smart Strings and Controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, »
It's your choice.

One controller for 128 nodes and some complicated sequencing - you will not be able to use string mode - to do rotations.
Five controllers and some less complicated sequencing - MUCH less if you use string mode.

-Paul

EDIT: This is if you use the current version of Vixen. I do not know what the impact will be with LightShowPro or any of the other software packages currently under development.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, by PJNMCT »
Leesburg, FL

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, »
Cool!!  That helps. 

Five controllers and some less complicated sequencing - MUCH less if you use string mode.  How many different modes are available?

Also, I have been using LOR and I'm planning to use LSP (trying to learn it now) to sequence.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, »
The rules for smart strings are pretty simple.  One controller per string and the strings can be any length between 1 and 120 nodes.  Don't forget that hubs are also required and the current hub can support up to 16 controllers.  If your trees are far apart then you might be better off with 2 hubs.  As for controller modes, there are three. 
1 - String Mode - the entire string is controlled with three channels and all pixels do the same thing
2 - Pixel Mode - each pixel is controlled separately with three channels each so a 40 pixel string would require 120 channels
3 - Combination Mode - the entire string is controlled with the first 3 channels and then the individual nodes can also be controlled so the above 40 pixel string would require 123 channels.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, »
Thanks tbone321.  That is most helpful.

Offline deplanche

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, »
Keep in mind that if the center pole of the tree is 6' tall, then you will need a string of lights that is longer than 12' since the lights will be on an angle, not straight up and down.  May make a difference in the number of lights you need or the height of your trees.

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, »
One Last question on my mind.  If I have five SS with 42 nodes each and program the SS controller to run in pixel mode that is 128 channels per string thus the entire tree would be 640 channels.  Right?  Now do I need a hardware controller to run this like Express or Freestyle? or is it similar to LOR CCR and the hardware in in the SS controller?  Forgive my ignorance as I am new to the DIY thing.  I've been running LOR for the last three years and go spoiled or lazy, so this DIY stuff is exciting but will take a little time.  Thanks again!! 

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, »
Hi Ralph A

The SSC is the controller so you don't need a Express or Freestyle (SS is 12v dc)

3 * 42 = 126 channels per SSC
or 630 Channels for 5 SSC

Quick Line diagram:
Computer - Dongle - SS Hub - SSC - Nodes

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, »
Thanks rrowan!!!  Again.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, »
The SS controller is the hardware controller and controls the pixles on the string.  You will also need a hub because that is your power source for the SS controllers and the strings.  The hub also needs a source of power and is set up to use a computer ATX power supply but can also be set up to run off of a 12V only supply.  Of course, none of it will do anything without a control signal and for that you need a dongle.  There will be a dedicated 12000 channel pixelnet dongle in the future but for now, you can use the current Lynx DMX dongle and flash it for pixelnet which will give you 4096 channels to work with.  There are currently coops running for both the dongle board and its case running now so if you don't already have one I would jump into those coops now.  As far as software goes, LOR S2 does not work with pixelnet so you will need to use something else for the smart strings.  Currently Vixen and LSP both support pixelnet.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving