Author Topic: What are you using your Kit #3's for?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
What are you using your Kit #3's for?
« on: January 25, 2011, »
I thought I knew and understood the reason for them but seemed to me like I would not need any. However, I see so many being ordered on the CoOp. Starts to make a guy doubt himself. Maybe I don't understand their worth after all. Just curious why so many are being ordered/ what will you use yours for vs a kit without.

<pop..

Leon
Leon

Offline Night Owl

Re: What are you using your Kit #3's for?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, »
Personally I ordered the kit "just in case."  I plan on using a computer power supply to drive the smart strings.  However if I chance upon a inexpensive 12V power supply, I might go that route.  It's only 4 bucks and if I don't get it now, then decide I need the parts later, I'll have to make a special order and the shipping will probably cost more than the components.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, »
While I didn't order a kit #3 I know that some people are getting it as a cheap insurance for later. Then there are people who already have a 12v power supply from previous hobbies like Ham Radio

I don't plan to use the kit so I am staying with the PC PS ATX route

Its all about RJ offering a flexible design to allow people to do what they would like

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, »
You have to realize that PC supplies might work outside, but some of us in less than frinedly climates may need to look at alternate means.  For example, we went from near zero, up to 30 and got 6" of slushy snow, back down to near zero, up to above freezing so everything got soaked, then it froze again.  Wihle I might be able to build an enclosure to reasonably protect a PC supply from that...the enclosure may land up costing more than just getting pure industiral 12V supply.  Therefore I'm just getting the parts.

Secondarily.  I am spending thousands on these little buggers..what is another $10.   <fp.   What is that, like another 30 minutes on the couch?
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline gforman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, »
Secondarily.  I am spending thousands on these little buggers..what is another $10.      What is that, like another 30 minutes on the couch?

What only 30 min LOL

I only ordered one because I have access to a 40 amp 12 power suppy that I might try in the future. for now I only plan on using the ATX power supplies

Glen
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"
  Thomas Edison

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, »
The $4 is so insignificant relative to the overall cost of the hubs, controllers, and lights, that I'm ordering then "just in case".  The Smart Strings are "new" technology so there's no track record of users (other than RJ) to get a sense of what is going to work well and and what won't from a power supply perspective.  As others have said, "cheap insurance".

-Mike

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, »
I'm actually thinking get the parts cheap for another little project I have in mind...

I've also been thinking about automotove possibilities, but I'm not sure if the nodes can take the 13.8 to 14.2 volts that a typical vehicle produces with the motor running (the battery is 12 volts, but when a car is running, the voltage produced by the alternator is regulated down into the ~14 volt range. This voltage is needed to recharge the battery).
Will probably have to come up with a high current 12 volt regulator  to make it work without burning up the nodes.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA