Author Topic: Finally, after years of wishing and wanting...  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Kasey911

Finally, after years of wishing and wanting...
« on: November 15, 2012, »
Howdy DLA!

So, I've been lurking around these parts for a couple of years now, just drooling over all the great stuff that RJ and the rest of you have come up with.  Well, I've finally moved into a home that will allow me to start feeding my blinky-flashy addiction!

Now, granted, I'm much too late to start on anything for this season, but I want to start stocking my new workshop with all the must-have stuff so I'll be ready to jump in with both feet for next season. :D

With that being said, I'd appreciate some input on items I may not have thought about as far as starting from scratch with this hobby.  I don't currently have anything, so I'm building from the ground up.

Below is my current shopping list:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Extra solder iron tips
Brass Tip Cleaner
Helping Hands
Solder Braid
Hook-Up Wire (Assorted colors - Solid Core)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - This looked like a great way to learn the ropes of programmable electronics as well as it provides a breadboard and all the parts for doing my own prototyping :)

Things I already own:

Various tools (screwdrivers, sockets, hammers wrenches, wire strippers, etc.)

Items I have questions about:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Is it worth getting one of these or can most of my immediate needs be met with the ol' ATX power supply hacks?  Also, does anybody know if this particular model is any good?

I'll also be picking up a couple of little "learn to solder" kits just to refresh my memory (it's been 22 years since I last touched a soldering iron).

Thanks in advance to you all and I can't wait to jump into my first DLA coop!

-Kasey
~Kasey~

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
Re: Finally, after years of wishing and wanting...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, »
Unless you are forced to, I would avoid lead-free solder.  It's a pain to work with.  I'd get 63/37 such as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
/mike

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, »
Thanks Mike!  I wasn't sure as it looked like everything was going lead-free.  I'm all about easier; not to mention it's half the price :D
~Kasey~

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, »
Lead free is due to the eu and there laws. if you are not working on anything important a bench top power supply is not needed you can use a pc power supply along with a few fuses and you'll be all set it will save you a lot of money. Look on instructables.com for how to's on this

Offline NewfieGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, »
I look forward to seeing your display when it's ready next year!   I'm looking to get started soon too!  Maybe we'll be in together in the next coop! lol

Take care,
Shannon

Offline deplanche

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, »
Get yourself a Digital Multimeter too.  They come in very handy for checking resistors values, continuity on a board, and voltages if you need to do any troubleshooting.

Also, get zip (cable) ties.  You'll need them and you'll almost never have enough of them.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, »
Start buying extension cords, SPT2 bulk wire and vampire plugs. This is my first year and I under estimated the amount of SPT2 and vampire plugs.

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, »
Thanks for all the great advice!

I can't wait to get started :D

~Kasey~

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, »
Sp wire is a must. And of course the vampire plugs. A nice quiet place to work and a drawer to throw the honey do list.
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, »
 i can tell you from my experience, (first year myself) START NOW!!!! LOL don't wait until next year. figure out which software your using and learn how to use it. get an idea of what you want to do and STICK TO IT!!! i have been hard at it since july between building express kits and ssc controllers and active hub and etherdonlgle and conductor and mini trees and arches and snowflakes...etc. i'm sure you get my point by now. you will get into this and if your like me you'll be hooked and time will fly up on you before you know it! i am starting with 208 channels of dmx and 3300 channels of rgb. needless to say the rgb may not make this years show because i waited too long. go int the for sale section and post an add looking for a lynx express and a usb dongle. you can still do a small show for this year to get your feet wet. ENJOY!!

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline injury

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, »
Start buying extension cords, SPT2 bulk wire and vampire plugs. This is my first year and I under estimated the amount of SPT2 and vampire plugs.

Or go the SSC route and just buy some cat 5

sjb

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, »
And buys the lights right after Christmas when the stores want to get rid of their extra inventory. There is huge savings then.

Steve

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, »
As always, great advice from the group!  I'll be sure to start my planning now.  <;d
~Kasey~

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, »
If you need lights for next year you'll want to watch for the CDI (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) and MITS (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) pre-sales (probably other people that do presales also, but those are who I've worked with).

2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, »
You can get a free multimeter from CSI if you order $50, just need to add it to your cart. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Get a shear cutter (flush cutter), it is invaluable for trimming leads. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Desolder pump (Solder sucker) is a great tool too, perfect for clearing out holes with solder. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Electronix Express has great prices for solder, (I don't use noclean and I don't clean the boards after.) 1# .031 60/40 $15.90 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I ordered my station from CSI too but got the cheaper analog one (CSI-STATION1A), it works great.
I ordered some tools and solder from Electronix Express because they were cheaper.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login