Author Topic: wreaths using rgb?  (Read 2954 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
wreaths using rgb?
« on: August 12, 2013, »
I"m wondering if anyone has done RGB wreaths and approx. what the minimum amount of rgb lights for a small wreath would be.  I've got some wreaths that just go around the house coach lights and maybe put a 100ct of minis on each one previously.  Whats the minimum # of SS nodes or modules you would recommend on each of those.  I know I could probably do DSC with these if I wanted to.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

Re: wreaths using rgb?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, »
In my testing for minis I think 32 nodes have similar brightness as a 100ct strand of minis.  But of course YMMV. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, »
I bought a small wreath (16" or so) from the thrift store for like $3 last year.  I used 30-32 nodes left over from doing window frames.  I would have liked a little more node density, but it still looked decent.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, »
I have a 4 foot wreath I wrapped 2 flexstrips around, I didn't have any pixel nodes, so made use of what I ordered.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, »
How did you wrap the flex strips around it?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, »
I used 20 rectangle LEDs for my wreaths. Turned out pretty well.  Here is a quick video.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, »
I was thinking about 20 rect. modules per small wreath, since they are so much brighter than minis and have 3 LED(s) each.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, »
Is brighter really the way you want to go.  A few bright lights will probably wash out the wreath. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, »
Well thats a great question.  I'm going to be putting in RGB on all my rooflines (instead of 3 color C9(s)) and I'm afraid if I stayed with my current mini light wreaths, they will look dim or off colored in comparison.  TO be honest the entire RGB thing has me uneasy still.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, »
What do you mean when you say you are uneasy about RGB?   What sold me was the color saturation.  I did not like the way the incans looked with using RGB, incan white looks orangey compared to RGB or cool white.  In fact, I am ditching incans and hope to go all rgb this year. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline keitha43

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, »
The only thing I don't like is I never can get a purple or orange that looks as good as a true purple or orange led for halloween.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
wreaths using rgb?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, »
Just uneasy about mixing rgb and minis ... Tempted to move to rgb quicker

Offline drlucas

wreaths using rgb?
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, »
The only thing I don't like is I never can get a purple or orange that looks as good as a true purple or orange led for halloween.

Even if you run xlights test mode with mixed colors and put it on slow? There isn't anything that looks good?

I use this to figure out the realm of possibility for color. Then brute force figure out the color.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, »
I tried colorfinder a couple of years ago but couldn't duplicate the exact colors of the purple and orange led strings.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, »
I found a good orange using:  FF3000 which I think is (255, 48, 0).

I have a few different purples on my "light color recipe" spreadsheet, but I don't have them memorized.  I can send in another post/thread as this one seems to have gotten off topic.

The colorfinder tool is very helpful, it just takes some patience.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login