Author Topic: Arches  (Read 5117 times)

Offline castortiu

Re: Arches
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, »
I did not understand the sleeve method at first, after see the pics is very clear how it is done, great pics, it looks really nice.

From where did you get the minis? I'll need like a hundred of those boxes and I'm looking for a good price.

Cas.

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, »
Lineman,

I do it almost identically to the same way. The only differences are I use 1" thinwall PVC pipe and on the ends of the pipe I drill two holes about 1/8" in. I use these holes to try wrap the lights in place. I think you will love these and how versatile they can be. Example use a vertical pole and put the lights on it and you can create a fountain  ;D

Joe
Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline paul58

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, »
Ive got a lot of 100 count mini's but when I wrap them around the pipe they take up about 40" of space.  The bulbs have a 6" spacing. I dont know for shure but this seems wrong for arches.  Would these be better suited for a tree or something ???

Offline tbone321

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, »
From what I have seen, 6" is a fairly standard spacing.  You can get around this by either using a thicker pipe or letting the wire overlap more when you are winding the pipe.  It sounds like you are using a thin pipe and not allowing any overlap at all.  If you look at some closeups of how others are winding them, you will see that the wire can be wound quite thick. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, »
Paul,

That is pretty much standard. I have wrapped about 100 sections of these strings around 1' sections this year. I will take a 1" thinwall PVC pipe and then wrap very closely around the pipe. If the lights are tightly twisted you will have to put about 3 of wraps on top of the bottom for the spacing to work but a 24' section of 100 lights can be wrapped in a 1' section of 1" PVC. If you are still having problems let me know and I'll try and get some pictures on these sections. If I get busy and don't reply PM me.  Also I am using 1' sections but there are a lot of people on this forum that will wrap 10 100 light strings on a 10' PVC pipe. How you do it is completely up to you but the lights will fit.

One more thing have the lights point out from the tube. I attached a picture but it is of the completed arches. If you zoom in you can see them but detail is poor.

Joe

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, by Made2Rock »

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, »
I counted 10 Segments per arch, is that right?  I may need more channels....
R,
Tony "C"

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ive got a lot of 100 count mini's but when I wrap them around the pipe they take up about 40" of space.  The bulbs have a 6" spacing. I dont know for shure but this seems wrong for arches.  Would these be better suited for a tree or something ???
As noted in the first post I took a 13" poly pipe 1" DIA and wrap 1-100 count mini on it , I would wrap 2 or 3 times and then push the wraps up together none of my wires overlap not sure how you are gettin 44" unless you are useing smaller pipe if you need some more pic,s pm me I have some of the pipe I used hope this helps
Jeff

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, »
Kwajtony,

Yes there are 10 sections to my arches but you don't have to have that many. You can petty much do what you want. Lineman uses a 13" section to wrap 100 lights. From what I have seen that may actually work out better. 13" would allow you to wrap everything around in a single layor then even out the spacing and their will not be much spacing. Use what you see here as a guide to start with then twist it to be what you need. I wanted to be able to store these in a bin and use them different ways. Using a fixed length section of pipe did that. I am planning on 4 arches and don't some vertical to become a water fountain. I will try and post pictures on these sections if you think it would help.

Joe

Offline paul58

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, »
Thanks for the replys. I was using a 1"pipe. I thought I had the wraps pushed tight enough together but I guess not. I am going to try it again this time twisting the wire a little more then wrapping. I'll see what happens!

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, »
Attached you'll find pictures of what these sections of PVC look like. I drill a pair of holes at each end and use these holes for zip ties to hold the lights in place. I also included a close up of the lights with a tape measure in the background. This will give a good idea of how these are wrapped around the PVC pipe.

Joe