Author Topic: light count  (Read 3491 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
light count
« on: March 30, 2011, »
hello all, I have searched our forum and with this being my first show, I was hoping for some input on light counts on a 24" mini trees. My idea was to have 100 lights of white red and green for a total of 300 lights...Does that seem right? and for my mega tree, I was thinking about 24 channels 8= white 8 = green 8 = red, for a total of 2400 lights..Is this the general rule of thumb?
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline tbone321

Re: light count
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, »
On a 2 foot mini tree, I would say that should do just fine.  As for the mega-tree, I think that you are way too thin.  It would look ok with all of the lights lit but would look sparce if you only light one color.  I was going to make a mega tree using 16 mega-strings made from Red, Green, Blue, and White light strings and controlled by an SSR4.  This would require 64 channels plus 4 for the tree topper and they would be controlled with by a Freestyle.  I have put that on hold since I intend to use smart strings when I do build one a year or two from now.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, »
So I guess doubling the count on the mega tree?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, »
I think that it would look a lot better that way but it really depends on how you want to light it up.  If you inted to use single colors at times then 8 strings of light is going to look pretty spread out unless your tree is very narrow.  Even 16 can look a little thin if you make a wide tree.  Now if your tree isn't too tall and you can loop a single string from the bottom to the top and back down again then it should look pretty full.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
hello all, I have searched our forum and with this being my first show, I was hoping for some input on light counts on a 24" mini trees. My idea was to have 100 lights of white red and green for a total of 300 lights...Does that seem right? and for my mega tree, I was thinking about 24 channels 8= white 8 = green 8 = red, for a total of 2400 lights..Is this the general rule of thumb?

I have the tomato cages for my mini trees.   They are a good two feet tall.   I have 3 strands of 100 on them.  One strand at a time light up on a mini tree would look very thin.  Mine are only one color (clear).

If you take the 8 strands on the mega tree and go up and over then you would have 16 per color.  Or run each strand up then down to make a pie slice out of each strand.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, »
well because of the size of my yard, the mega tree will be narrow ( 8'  in diameter if I'm lucky )..  as for the minis, looks like 300 per color.. By the way trekster, nice videos.. gotta love the curved mega tree. nice show.... <res.

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, »
Thank you.  I did not even think about the video link when describing the mini trees.  The Spiral tree was a big hit.  Here is a link to building it.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, »
I use 30 50ct strands per 6 foot tree that I have.

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, »
Sirlonofbeef,

When trying to calculate the number of strings for a mega tree and what to build, I found these two sites really helpful

and

and the other article on his site

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, »
wow, I really underestimated the amount of lights needed. I guess its back to the drawing board.  :o  15000 lights doesnt go as far as one might think when trying to put on a show.. better get the wifes purse when she goes to sleep...SHHHH!!!!! >.d9

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, »
Your mini trees will be just fine as that is what I have used for the last 3 years.  The lights for the mega tree will also depend on how tall you go.  My mega tree is planned for 64 strings (16 each, RGBW) using 32 channels and it looked just fine in 2009.  This past year, 2010, my new pole (expandable flagpole) just did not want to hold the weight well so I cut back to 32 strings and it looked to sparse.  Just my opinion.  YMMV.  For 2011 I have already started building a Monkhouse JUMP (Jack Up Mega Pole) and will go back to 64 strings.  The JUMP is a great design, not cheap, but very strong and you can put your lights on at ground level and use a cordless drill to jack up the pole.  See  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, »
I started my 6 foot trees with 16 strings and add a little more strings each year.

Bill

Offline CB

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, »
Depending on the height your minis sound sufficient.  When picking the string and channel count for your mega tree think through how you want it to show.  I normally do two colors on the tree with 16 channels per color and have 32 strings of each color.  Then I tie the 180 degree strings to the same channel, this shows well for me and what I want to achieve, then I have added 20 balls of a differing color, two per channel and the 2 strings of strobes and 4 channels for my star.  So in total 3-16 channel controllers for one main feature.  This year I am adding 2-7' 6" tall (48" base) spiral trees that I have wrapped the spirals in a different direction oin each.  These will have a 16 channel controller each and will be single color.  Flanking the front of the house to add a screwing effect (ha).  My mini trees are all tomato cages that I welded rebar on the bottom for anchoring and snow space.  The are all two colors and have 400 lights on the 3' and 800 lights on the 5'6" trees.  They show well and add a dancing effect in the yard.

As soon as I can I will be posting my build pics.  Apparently I have to care for the pond and all the other stuff in the yard along with coaching my son's traveling baseball team.  One day the family CFO will learn that Christmas is a year round event.

Corey

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, »

I've heard that this is addicting. I think I'm addicted already. Some ppl count sheep at night, not me, I count lights..

Offline gophergrove

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, »

I've heard that this is addicting. I think I'm addicted already. Some ppl count sheep at night, not me, I count lights..

You should ask Ray for a job in QC - I think he needs it